Thread: LS2 E38 Fan Control Issues

Tuner in Training

LS2 E38 Fan Control Issues

Hey Guys,
    Having a bit of an issue trying to work out why my desired fan % is always 96% regardless of engine temp. Something must be commanding this but i can't seam to find it.
    I've attempted to post tune and log hopefully works.
    Everything i can see says the desired % should be 0 at the logged engine temp.
    Set up is just two standard realy controlled fixed speed thermo fans.

Fan Test.hptFan Issue.hplFan Test.hptFan Issue.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Check your electrical connectors, try forcing the fans to turn off using VCM scanner, if they don't respond it's electrical related. File seems fine

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
    Check your electrical connectors, try forcing the fans to turn off using VCM scanner, if they don't respond it's electrical related. File seems fine
    Thanks for having a look. I agree i don't believe its a fan setting issue. I believe something in the back round is commanding the fans on. But I'd be buggered if i can see what.
    That fans turn on and off fine with the scanner. The wiring is fine and that side functions fine.
    If you look at the log as soon as the engine starts the desired fan percentage is 99% when the engine temp is 30 odd degrees C.
    It's like something else other then the ECT is causing the fan desired to be so high. I've tried the AC table and it makes no difference.
    Would be handy if anyone else knew what could command the fans.
    There is no major DCT just usual conversion ones.
    communication errors
    BCM
    ABS
    TCM
    Purge sol
    Fuel level

Set DTCs P0128 and P0116 to No Error, just in case. I hate those two codes.

Senior Tuner
    it may just be a safety thing from the lack of communication as it may not know the temp so it turns the fans on

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input guys,
    Tried those DTC's with no luck. I spent hours last night going over everything to no avail.
    I agree it seems to be some sort of over ride or safety but I'm bugged if i can find out what.
    I have tried changing the fan type to all of the different types even single fan with all the same result regardless. as soon as the engine starts fan desired jumps to 99.6%.
    Ideally at this point id like to try find someone with a file with functioning on/off fan and try compare settings and see if something is different. I believe its something other then the actual fan settings.
    There is thousands of these setups in Australia with LS swaps that work fine that's why I'm a little stumped.

Tuner in Training
    I agree. But I'm stumped a to what. everything seems to be functioning perfectly other then this.

Tuner in Training
    Turned out to be something to do with the a/c pressure sensor DCT. Even though the pressure was reading 0 it was calling for 99% fans.
    I turned all the A/C pressure DCT to no error reported and no the fan desired % works as it should.

Tuner in Training
    If you turn the key to on but don?t start it, the fan should not run. If it does, it?s an electrical problem. Probably with the ground signal wire on the relay being grounded when it shouldn?t. If the fan does not run until after the engine starts, then your ecu is the one commanding it on. (Only exception is if your engine is significantly over normal operating temp)