Thread: L96 No start 2013 Silverado 2500HD with a "new" E78...files attached.

Tuner in Training

L96 No start 2013 Silverado 2500HD with a "new" E78...files attached.

I am looking for some help...here we go.
    I have an L96 out of a wrecked 2013 Silverado 2500HD. The ECM was crushed in the wreck and I could not get it to respond to the HP Tuner, so I got another ECM on Ebay with nearly identical numbers (see pic). I plugged in the new ECM and flashed the VATs out, but am unable to get the engine to start. I pulled a plug and noticed that I am not getting a spark. With the scanner hooked up, I do not get any RPMs while cranking the engine.

Any chance you might be able to look at the pictures and tune and see if...

Do you think this ECM will work as a stand-alone with no VATs.
    Do you think the lack of RPM signal has to do with the ECM, or maybe the crank position sensor?

More questions to follow about wiring a fan.

Thanks Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do you have service manuals and wiring diagrams? Have you looked up and followed the flowchart for crank-no-start?

Do you have reference voltage and ground at the crank sensor connector? If no, track down why not. If yes;

Do you get some kind of activity on the RPM PID if you taptaptaptaptap a jumper wire between the 12v ref terminal and the signal return terminal? If yes;

Then probably a bad crank position sensor. But you have to check that the ECM and related wiring are able to function first. Well... I mean if you want to fix it by some method other than random guesses of what parts to replace.

Tuner in Training
    I got the engine to fire up! Many Thanks...Cleaning the crank position sensor plug seemed to do the trick. That answer does make me a bit concern, but at least I have localized the problem and proved that the engine will run and the ECM and program do work.