Thread: Idle tuning assistance

Advanced Tuner

Idle tuning assistance

Hello,
    im working on a z06 with a cam, i cant get this thing to come down from a throttle blip slowly, i have tried doubling the follower, halving it, zero it, back to stock and still will go down do 400rpm and bounce back

tune2 Cam corr.hpt

Tuning Addict
    A whole lot more to tuning idle than just follower. First off you might want to make your neutral and park tables in braf the same. This table will be your main one for idle control. Then you have spark and adaptive idle settings from there. Also don't forget your tb park settings too.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    A whole lot more to tuning idle than just follower. First off you might want to make your neutral and park tables in braf the same. This table will be your main one for idle control. Then you have spark and adaptive idle settings from there. Also don't forget your tb park settings too.
    Ok i went back and modified the tables, tuned VE, changed BRAF went up until it gave a very strong fuel smell, then went back, changed base idle timing, went up to 22 degrees and as low as 8 degrees, halved idle adaptive and went back to stock.

what table is the TB park setting?

At the end if i blip the throttle hard it will come down slowly like i wanted, but a light blip will make it go down to 400rpm and bounce back.

here is the tune i ended at and the log

tune2 Cam corr 3.hpt
    Dyno fixed alt9 wtf idle.hpl

Tuning Addict
    Just something to try.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Just something to try.
    Can you explain the reasoning behind the changes?
    would love to learn how this works.

Tuning Addict
    Did it help any?

I don't have time for the big write up at the moment, but perhaps this weekend. Several changes in that worked together, others just from a newer ls7. Injection timing and fueling changes will help you further for the cam.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Did it help any?

I don't have time for the big write up at the moment, but perhaps this weekend. Several changes in that worked together, others just from a newer ls7. Injection timing and fueling changes will help you further for the cam.
    Didnt have time to test it, ill be checking it next week, the car is in a garage so when i go there i want to have an idea of what im missing so if it doesnt work i can do more than one test.

but here are some questions:

when i went to 22* of timing on the base idle table i noticed that idle desired airflow, idle minimun airflow and mass flow airflow all lined up on the same numbers, is this not desirable?

Also injection timing, i know i should move it to later so it sprays fuel after EVC, that should be a lower number?
    and if i went on the right direction it should get negative fuel trims with the same inj pw right?
    Last edited by mJolnir; 02-11-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Tuning Addict
    22* may be better for you. Some cams like more while others like less. If yours likes more than shift the whole table I posted as that table has better transitions. I typically run a little less idle timing just so there's more of a window there for timing to go up in to help control idle dips for scenarios like clutch pops for instance.

I also believe your OS is missing an important throttle follower table that you need to request via support - ecm12123 - this is a torque table for idle to help with closing and opening throttle rates. May be part of your running in circles issues? In fact I just compared yours to another of mine and yours looks like it's missing around 12 idle airflow tables, somewhat important fueling tables, torque tables and so on. Think someone might have overlooked some things on mapping that one out?

Injection timing - boundary - higher numbers more retarded. There was a thread about a month ago maybe where I posted some tables for a guy having bucking problems that had all of the tables changed for a decent cam if your able to find it. He found his cam to respond better to higher idle numbers too, while overall running better on the provided changes to my knowledge anyway. I'll try to find it this weekend if I have time or you can shoot me an email and I can send you a tune with everything for comparison to yours. Might be better for you to get the tune so you can see what tables are missing in yours to request as well.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    22* may be better for you. Some cams like more while others like less. If yours likes more than shift the whole table I posted as that table has better transitions. I typically run a little less idle timing just so there's more of a window there for timing to go up in to help control idle dips for scenarios like clutch pops for instance.

I also believe your OS is missing an important throttle follower table that you need to request via support - ecm12123 - this is a torque table for idle to help with closing and opening throttle rates. May be part of your running in circles issues? In fact I just compared yours to another of mine and yours looks like it's missing around 12 idle airflow tables, somewhat important fueling tables, torque tables and so on. Think someone might have overlooked some things on mapping that one out?

Injection timing - boundary - higher numbers more retarded. There was a thread about a month ago maybe where I posted some tables for a guy having bucking problems that had all of the tables changed for a decent cam if your able to find it. He found his cam to respond better to higher idle numbers too, while overall running better on the provided changes to my knowledge anyway. I'll try to find it this weekend if I have time or you can shoot me an email and I can send you a tune with everything for comparison to yours. Might be better for you to get the tune so you can see what tables are missing in yours to request as well.
    Sent you a email and a message on here. looking for a tuner please let me know if you can help.

Advanced Tuner
    Did it help any?
    it worked perfect, thank you very much.

Tuning Addict
    Glad it worked for you. You might still want to request the missing tables either way because you may need them for drivability tuning.

~Greg Huggins~

Potential Tuner
    Can anyone tell me why in "Target Idle Speed vs. Coolant Temp" Base Setpoint, Minimum Setpoint, Startup, will not open when clicked on?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericstratton View Post
    Can anyone tell me why in "Target Idle Speed vs. Coolant Temp" Base Setpoint, Minimum Setpoint, Startup, will not open when clicked on?
    Thanks
    In what file? The file from your car that no one but you can look at because you didn't post it?

Potential Tuner
    I'm sorry.
    Hope this works
    In Engine Idle
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    It's crazy. It opens on the desktop but not the laptop

Advanced Tuner
    it opened just fine for me. i chuckled a bit when i opened your Startup-P/N table. It reminded me of an origami butterfly! LOL I was able to open every table on there. not sure what you have going on there partner. sorry.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the look! Much appreciated!

It's opening, but you've resized the window (smaller) somewhere along the line. It's opening to the last-used position which is now outside the main window borders and you can't see it. Maximize the window and you will see it.

Tuning Addict
    Some of the older versions of the software had this "glitch". All you have to do is change your computers sizing scale. If you change your zoom to a slightly larger scaling it should show up for you.

~Greg Huggins~