Thread: MAF topping out before max boost and I let off gas, why?

Advanced Tuner

MAF topping out before max boost and I let off gas, why?

Is this a normal artifact of tuning or something else? In a 2nd gear pull I can max the map out at 86.69 but on a higher gear pull it doesnt go near the max however it does top out seemingly before it should.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Im not really understanding what you are seeing. I would suggest redoing your PID list and replace all the (SAE) with ones that aren't, especially fuel trims. It will increase polling speed and reduce interpolation gap error. MAF lb/min is limited, you should look at air load.

Return WOT MAF.jpg
    Last edited by murfie; 04-22-2022 at 12:43 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Im not really understanding what you are seeing. I would suggest redoing your PID list and replace all the (SAE) with ones that aren't, especially fuel trims. It will increase polling speed and reduce interpolation gap error. MAF lb/min is limited, you should look at air load.

Return WOT MAF.jpg
    this is what it looks like to me
    can you upload your vcm scanner configs please?Capture.PNG

Senior Tuner
    Other than exporting to .csv with out interpolating data, to see the sampling rate. This is how you see it in the scanner just using the .hpl file. When you build a graph of your maf transfer and plot fuel trims, you want both MAF period at a high count and the fuel trims at a high count rate, to get good data to correct your MAF transfer. With only a few seconds at the lower periods, you will want more than 4-5 data points to correct from. 75-80 per pull in lower gears, and more in higher gears as they take longer giving the scanner more time to collect.

Sample rate.jpg

Heres a channel list. I don't look at mass airflow rates.

19Mustang alt 2.Channels.xml

If im curious, I calculate mass airflow from the air load PID using a user math. Based on the cylinder displacement in pounds of air(0.0017), and it having 4 intake strokes per revolution being an 8 cylinder. There isn't an 86.68 32bit limit doing it this way.

Load to MAF.MathParameter.xml
    Last edited by murfie; 04-22-2022 at 03:54 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    Other than exporting to .csv with out interpolating data, to see the sampling rate. This is how you see it in the scanner just using the .hpl file. When you build a graph of your maf transfer and plot fuel trims, you want both MAF period at a high count and the fuel trims at a high count rate, to get good data to correct your MAF transfer. With only a few seconds at the lower periods, you will want more than 4-5 data points to correct from. 75-80 per pull in lower gears, and more in higher gears as they take longer giving the scanner more time to collect.

Sample rate.jpg

Heres a channel list. I don't look at mass airflow rates.

19Mustang alt 2.Channels.xml

If im curious, I calculate mass airflow from the air load PID using a user math. Based on the cylinder displacement in pounds of air(0.0017), and it having 4 intake strokes per revolution being an 8 cylinder. There isn't an 86.68 32bit limit doing it this way.

Load to MAF.MathParameter.xml
    that works great! thank you