Thread: P01 Lean when cold

Tuner in Training

P01 Lean when cold

2002 Silverado 4.8 turbo Speed density not using CL or fuel trims. All summer long worked on the VE table, basically had it working good. Get a cold day and its lean. I've been fighting this way too long, are there any suggestions? I cant have a truck that needs 2 tunes to run correctly as here in sc we may be 30 in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. I've tried turning the complex model on and off and it doesn't help so I'm back to complex model on, and about to try to change the bias more to IAT as that seems to be the issue.

A lot of what i found to read was saying they were leaning out as IAT climbed, mine leans out when its cold. Same tune different day is night and day on the logs.

Any other ideas?

Senior Tuner
    Post your tune when you can. The SD algorithm will compensate for colder IATs by adding fuel. It's a fairly predictable air density change that occurs when the temp drops. However, maybe it's not adding enough additional fuel. Does your IAT reflect the actual air temp? Is your truck lean across the entire rpm range? Perhaps there's something else that's occurring to cause your lean condition.

Advanced Tuner
    Is there a Open Loop ECT Fuel Multiplier table? Ive been looking thru some 2 Bar Enhanced tunes and not seeing it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Post your tune when you can. The SD algorithm will compensate for colder IATs by adding fuel. It's a fairly predictable air density change that occurs when the temp drops. However, maybe it's not adding enough additional fuel. Does your IAT reflect the actual air temp? Is your truck lean across the entire rpm range? Perhaps there's something else that's occurring to cause your lean condition.
    I'll post it when I get back home. The bias toward iat didn't help much if at all this morning. I took it all the way to 0. The ve table makes a difference but ends up rich when warm. No it's not lean across the board. It's not ect based because nothing changes if I let it warm all the way up. The one thing I have noticed is that after about 25 mins of run time it tends to swing richer. When it's at op temp and I leave my house it'll peg the gauge lean depending on the throttle, then after about 25 mins it'll only get to about 1.03 or so. Theyre Bosch 210s supposed to be fic so the data should be good. Wot is fine no matter the ambient.

Tuner in Training
    Tune and logs from this morning
    Attached Files Attached Files