Thread: 2013 Tahoe lots of random KR

Tuner in Training

2013 Tahoe lots of random KR

I'm a newbie to HPT and don't have much experience with EFI tuning. I have a 2013 Tahoe that I had tuned by a local tuner when I put LTs on. I now want to do more to it, so I bought HPT to tinker and learn for myself. After reading and data logging the current tune, I'm not sure that it's correct. Can y'all help to point me in the right direction so I can get this thing dialed in. Its currently getting around 15 mpg and it stinks at idle, worse than some of my carbureted vehicles. I purchased an innovate wideband but have not had a chance to hook it up. What is the first step? Does it look close? Why so much KR? Plugs were changed 500 miles ago with TR55. Running 87 octane. TIA

Exhaust smell with no cats on a LS is par for the course in my opinion, just the way they are. Some have messed with injection timing to try to make it less but still not running cats is the biggest factor. The log didn't show what the fuel trims at idle where like so I can't tell if it needs some fuel removed there. Otherwise the trims were a little negative while driving, which isn't a bad thing and within the computers ability to adjust on the fly. It can always be made better so it's closer to zero but it will never be perfect.

Knock with 87 octane is very common. If you got the same knock with 93 octane then I'd say your knock sensors are too sensitive and will need a few tweaks to stop them from over reacting.

Overall the tune looks basically all stock. Zero power enrichment changes and timing still looks factory. Just changes for the headers and o2 sensor stuff. Nothing about timing or adjusting the WOT fueling for better performance with long tubes. Transmission tune looks 100% stock as well. And 15mpg combined isn't horrible for that year truck. They only get good fuel mileage on the freeway doing 60-65mph and that's about 20ish mpg.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    This one is stinkier than my 04 silverado with LTs and 222/224. So since most of the tune is stock I should just start with adjusting VVE with trims until I get my wideband installed? Any tuning guides or tips? I would like to learn to do this stuff so I can tune the swap I hope to do and not have to worry about someone taking my money for nothing, again...

Both VVE and the MAF control fueling. You could honestly just do minor fuel corrections with the MAF to make the trims closer.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.