Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark but no start

Tuner in Training

Spark but no start

I'm new to tuning and looking for any input to help me get this buggy running. This is an LS1 with LS3 injectors and an unknown cam but believed to be 228/238 at 50 with 620 lift and 113 separation on the lobes. I have always been more of a suspension guy and am learning as I go with motors. Attached is the tune and scanner files. I have also tried to start with starter fluid without any luck, I pulled one plug to verify it was actually sparking and I can hear the injectors cut on.

CamarowithCorvettetemplatev1.7.hpt everything registers1.hpl
    Last edited by sheepherda; 12-21-2021 at 01:24 PM.

No run on starting fluid means no spark or no compression

Tuner in Training
    I verified spark by pulling a plug and cranking. I could see spark but I felt like it wasn't pulsing like it should. I don't have a light. This was a running setup on ez efi before the computer went bad and switching over hp tuners. I was wondering if the was something in the tune I have that would be causing it before I continue to chase wires.

Get a working IAT sensor, you must have one.

If the MAF is gone wire in a new sensor for IAT. Also with the MAF gone, don't zero out the MAF table, leave it stock. The 3 MAF DTC's need to be set to MIL on first error.

This tune says that it has a electronic throttle. If that is not true then change the ETC setting from 1 to zero in the system options under the systems tab. Turn off brake torque mngt as well.

Looks to be a MAP sensor problem too, the KPA reading is only around 20-25 when the engine is not running. Should be right around 100kpa at sea level and less with elevation.

Some of my comments are still the same from your other thread and still aren't fixed yet.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you again for the info. I am not running MAF sensor. I found the stock tune for it and started over. I was able to change the OS and when I did that I was able to read RPMs. I will get to work on fixing the issues you pointed out.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Get a working IAT sensor, you must have one.

If the MAF is gone wire in a new sensor for IAT. Also with the MAF gone, don't zero out the MAF table, leave it stock. The 3 MAF DTC's need to be set to MIL on first error.

This tune says that it has a electronic throttle. If that is not true then change the ETC setting from 1 to zero in the system options under the systems tab. Turn off brake torque mngt as well.

Looks to be a MAP sensor problem too, the KPA reading is only around 20-25 when the engine is not running. Should be right around 100kpa at sea level and less with elevation.

Some of my comments are still the same from your other thread and still aren't fixed yet.
    Here's the latest. I am now reading the IAT and MAP sensors. The OS is a 1 bar SD configuration. I believe I have made all the changes you have suggested but still can't get it to fire. I am not running a MAF sensor. Anything else you see I should change?
    scan12-23-21.hpl CamarowithCorvettetemplatev1.7.1.hpt

Did your stock file have data populated in the base running airflow table for in park/neutral?

If the file was a manual to start with you wouldn't have to mess with that or change the transmission type to non elec auto.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Did your stock file have data populated in the base running airflow table for in park/neutral?

If the file was a manual to start with you wouldn't have to mess with that or change the transmission type to non elec auto.
    The stock file was for a manual. I am running a th350 so I thought I should change it to non elec auto. Engine>Idle>Airflow>Base running airflow>Idle Airflow does have data populated in the stock file.

I pulled a plug to verify spark and watched it while cranking and it looks like it is pulsing slow. Roughly once every second. Is this normal until it actually fires or do I need to adjust the spark table?

Leave it as a manual, no reason to change the transmission type.

Did you do a write entire with the OS upgrade or just a write calibration?

You shouldn't have to touch anything spark related just to get it to run. Stock timing tables will run with a camshaft upgrade, obviously it won't be ideal but it will run.

Tuner in Training
    I did write entire with the os upgrade. I will switch it back to manual. I'm still not sure how quickly the plug was supposed to pulse while starting. I can smell gas when trying to start it so the injectors should be firing. I haven't checked plugs 2 4 6 8 for spark yet. Need to find another set of hands or eyes to assist while cranking.

The motor sounds fine when turning over. I did adjust the fuel tables based on another tune someone already did the math on for ls3 injectors in an ls1.

Tuner in Training
    Still looking for some advice here. All the plugs are sparking and my fuel pressure is at 58psi. It sounds like it wants to start when cranking and you can hear it releasing pressure when I stop cranking it. It will get a quick pop but never does any more than that. BuggyLS1-v1.2.hpt scan12-24-21.1.hpl

Disable the fuel pump, bleed off fuel pressure, then try it with starting fluid (I prefer brake cleaner though). This will rule out (or in!) too much cranking fuel.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    your map sensor is not reading right

it will never start
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    your map sensor is not reading right

it will never start
    What should my map sensor be reading? It's a brand new sensor.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    key on engine off should be reading 100kpa (depending on your location in ref to sea-level)

what brand? size is it
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    key on engine off should be reading 100kpa (depending on your location in ref to sea-level)

what brand? size is it

It's an ac Delco. It was reading 100 kpa after I swapped it a few days ago. I pulled it a little while ago and noticed it was wet with starter fluid and gas. Something has to be leaking in the intake for it to be as wet as it is. Guess I need to pull the intake and check the gaskets.

In the most recent log MAP is 99kpa static, 97kpa while cranking. I don't see a problem there.

You still need to do some kind of test with the injectors disabled and an alternate source of fuel.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    In the most recent log MAP is 99kpa static, 97kpa while cranking. I don't see a problem there.

You still need to do some kind of test with the injectors disabled and an alternate source of fuel.
    Injectors disabled and using starting fluid it's still doing the same thing. I'm thinking I got something going on with the intake. There is fuel puddled where the map sensor plugs in. I don't think there should be anything liquid on the map sensor. If the weather holds off tomorrow I'll pull the intake and check the gaskets. I replaced them 8 months ago but I'm not sure if I ran it after replacing them.

There's no liquid in an LS intake other than fuel. If the intake is full of fuel, disabling the fuel pump won't remove all of the fuel so that it's only getting the amount you add with starting fluid.

Did you have the plugs out when checking for spark? Were they wet? If not, how is there enough 'liquid'(what is the liquid?) in the intake that it drowns the MAP sensor but yet not making it into the cylinders and onto the plugs?

Tuner in Training
    I haven't pulled all the plugs from the motor. They are all new and the headers make it a pain to remove them. I did pull a plug on each side and neither one of them are wet. I'm not 100% sure what it is. I'm pretty sure it's gas and starter fluid.