Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: o2 sensors car stuck in open loop was fine the day before

Tuner in Training

o2 sensors car stuck in open loop was fine the day before

Drove my car yesterday and it was doing fine, went to get in the car today to take a cruising log so I can get everything sent off to a tuner to help adjust for a baseline tune and I noticed the car running really rich. Looking at the logs at idle my o2 sensors are staying pegged at 0.9v and the car is forcing open loop. I ordered new o2 sensors and hopefully this will solve it, but what could this also be related to? I'm certain I have no exhaust leaks as I just got done tightening everything up and adding copper gaskets to my vbands that are right before the o2 sensors. My plugs are brand new tr6 gap to roughly 0.03(Turbocharged).

Yesterday idle log closed loop operates fine
    IdleLog.hpl

Idle log from today stuck in open loop at idle.
    negativestft.hpl

I will also note I changed the power enrichment down from 5000 RPM to 3200 RPM and also changed the ramp in/out rates from the default 0.0200/0.0250 to 1s. These were recommendations from HPtuners videos that I watched. Could this of possibly messed with my o2 sensors? The open loop status was stating accel/deaccel and not a fault so I'm kind of lost.
    Last edited by Sjd6795; 12-19-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Need to see the tune file.

The PE RPM you say you changed is only the delay - read the little notes at the bottom when you mouse-over. I'm taking that as a sign that that might not be the only change you made that you didn't really understand.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Need to see the tune file.

The PE RPM you say you changed is only the delay - read the little notes at the bottom when you mouse-over. I'm taking that as a sign that that might not be the only change you made that you didn't really understand.
    I understand that's just the delay. I adjusted it so PE kicked in a little sooner into boost. I am at work and I don't have the tune that had the PE adjustments made. But in the photo I highlighted the only other change that was made to the tune that I just uploaded. Also regarding the other thread injectors are brand new fuel injector clinic 850cc. They should not be leaking if they are then I'll be getting a refund.

PEtable.PNG
    Modifiedtune2ss1leDTC850cc.hpt In the photo I adjusted RPM from 5k to 3.2k and delay to 1s on ramp in/out

Tuning Addict
    It just looks like the turbo is flowing more air - more maf and more tb opening in the one where it's leaner. I don't like leaving maf's in any turbo setup - oe took them out throughout the years typically too with turbos. Car needs to be tuned for the setup is all it looks like to me.

On a side note you also mentioned installing a filter of some sort in the valley - possibly plugged with oil? If not just tune or build.

It's not going into "full" closed loop because it didn't pass the short term fuel trim O2 switching test after startup because of an overly rich state.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 12-20-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    It just looks like the turbo is flowing more air - more maf and more tb opening in the one where it's leaner. I don't like leaving maf's in any turbo setup - oe took them out throughout the years typically too with turbos. Car needs to be tuned for the setup is all it looks like to me.
    Yes the car will be running speed density only. I am waiting for my zl1 map sensor to be delivered to my local dealer so I can go pick it up then install on my car. I have someone helping me with the base line tune, so hopefully once I get that installed and the baseline tune flashed it will be much better.

Do you think the PE ramped in way to much and caused the rich condition? Would resetting my fuel trims to relearn solve this issue?
    Last edited by Sjd6795; 12-20-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Tuner in Training

On a side note you also mentioned installing a filter of some sort in the valley - possibly plugged with oil? If not just tune or build.
    Forgot to touch on this. So my catch can setup merges both valve covers into the catch can then out of the catch can into the intake manifold. I have check valves in place to prevent boost entering back into the crank case. I have a filter on the valley plate that pulls clean air in under vacuum and when boost kicks it, it will relieve pressure from there since the valve covers will be closed off by the check valves.

Disabling/lowering the delay will not cause PE to engage. Below the delay RPM the delay timer is used, above the delay RPM the timer is ignored. PE is still triggered by throttle and MAP settings like normal. You should have all the delays completely disabled in a performance app anyhow, last thing you want is something inhibiting PE when you need it.

Have you checked fuel pressure since this issue showed up?

Tuner in Training
    Have you checked fuel pressure since this issue showed up?
    Yes fuel pressure remains around 57-58 psi, I have a screw on gauge for the fuel rail I use for testing. And good to know on the PE settings, apparently the video I was watching had a slightly different table and it worked a little different.

Does fuel pressure hold after ign/pump turns off? Leaky injectors is unlikely since both banks show the same symptom, and that would require at least one bad injector in each bank, but with all new/unknown stuff you never know.

When was the oil last changed? Any chance you have fuel in the crankcase?

Tuning Addict
    I would probably do the catch can a little differently. The valleys are notorious for puking out more oil and that's where you have your fresh air inlet. Would probably run one valve cover to the catch can and the drivers to fresh air or filter. Would probably consider a mighty mouse setup if that's not what your running.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    When was the oil last changed? Any chance you have fuel in the crankcase?
    Oil change has been very recent. I've only got a few hundred miles on the car since I installed the turbo which required drilling my oil pan etc. The fuel pressure holds for a while but eventually over night of course it drops. I notice at idle my injector flow rates are showing 112lb on my new data log they are suppose to be 94lb @ 58 psi so maybe I need to scale them slightly higher on flow rate?

I got a baseline tune running SD only and the o2 are back operating how they should. idle trims are slightly negative but cruising trims are between +7-20% but probably just need adjusted now that I have a log of the baseline tune.

I think my other issue is my catch can routing, I for some reason cannot wrap my head around it.

Tuner in Training
    I would probably do the catch can a little differently. The valleys are notorious for puking out more oil and that's where you have your fresh air inlet. Would probably run one valve cover to the catch can and the drivers to fresh air or filter. Would probably consider a mighty mouse setup if that's not what your running.
    That's the one thing I don't really understand lol, I turbocharged the car myself but catch can routing is boggling my mind.

I have been in contact with MM but they only seem to want to sell me a product not offer any advice or explanation of their setup, typically if I can't get the support on a question I'm asking about their setup and get the response to just buy it instead of them explaining how it works so I can be at ease it deters me away from wanting to support them by buying their product.

below is a photo of my catch can routing. I'm using two check valves just for safety if one fails, the other can prevent boost from entering. I don't have a way to add a preturbo filter so if you can advise on how I should route this to where I can temporarily avoid any sort of unmetered air but also relief my crank case pressure I would really appreciate it. I am also running only SD with the baseline tune that I got. I'm not able to get into boost however until I get my zl1 map sensor installed tomorrow.

IMG_20211221_183037756.jpg

The MAF is not failed in your tune or logs, and you have the hose from the valley plate pulling in unmetered air through a filter? And your fuel trims are done gone nuts?

If you are keeping the MAF, then the fresh air (hose to valley plate) must draw from the intake tube, somewhere between the MAF and turbo inlet.

If you are not keeping the MAF, then the tune file has to be set up to fail the MAF properly.

Tuner in Training
    The MAF is not failed in your tune or logs, and you have the hose from the valley plate pulling in unmetered air through a filter? And your fuel trims are done gone nuts?

If you are keeping the MAF, then the fresh air (hose to valley plate) must draw from the intake tube, somewhere between the MAF and turbo inlet.

If you are not keeping the MAF, then the tune file has to be set up to fail the MAF properly.
    My new tune was just flashed today. The tune I previously posted was basically my stock ls3 tune with injector data adjusted.

I am using this routing form the third post for my catch can seutp
    https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437299

Tuner in Training

Attachment 116165 New idle log - AFR start out pegging at 10 but finally settle once the temperatures start coming up. This was just a baseline remote tune without any previously data logs. It needs adjustments I know but that's what this log was taken for.

cruising log is to large to attach.

Tuning Addict
    Get the catch can sorted before your tuner goes any further. You can install the filter from the plate to the drivers valve cover then cap or run a hose from the plate to the catch can. If you go the hose from plate to catch can route just make sure your checking it by daily to min weekly to see how much is accumulating.

Mighty mouse has a built in check valve venting to atmosphere and will hold a better volume. I prefer their setups over nearly all others out there but they can make idle tuning harder.

~Greg Huggins~

Are you keeping the MAF or not?

Tuner in Training
    Are you keeping the MAF or not?
    As soon as my zl1 map sensors gets installed tomorrow. He apparently disabled a bunch of things related to the maf but maybe some things got missed. He did say the tune will be SD only because it's much smoother. I do see in the log maf is still functioning and not in a failed state.
    Last edited by Sjd6795; 12-21-2021 at 10:33 PM.