Thread: Increasing idle timing (Idle Base Spark) after bigger cam install (LS3)

Increasing idle timing (Idle Base Spark) after bigger cam install (LS3)

I am looking at the 2011 Corvette LS3 stock idle timing table (Idle Base Spark Advance).

From the 0-1,000 RPM range and at the low Airmass range of 0.08-0.40 the timing is set to 13 degrees.

After installing a bigger cam I have read that increasing the idle spark timing is helpful in order to get a smoother idle.

I was just wondering what you folks use for idle timing on the Gen 4 LS engines such as the LS3 when a larger duration cam is used ... I was thinking of bumping up the Base Idle Spark Timing up from 13 degrees to maybe 17 degrees.

Any thoughts on this ?

Senior Tuner
    Yep, pretty standard. 16 deg is what I run with a blower cam. 17 will be fine for your setup.

There is ways to find timing. Keep advancing till you get max vacuum then back off a fair way so you have a torque reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post

There is ways to find timing. Keep advancing till you get max vacuum then back off a fair way so you have a torque reserve.
    Yup ... that's what I have heard too.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and info !

hjtrbo ...

BTW ... Here is a copy of my High Octane timing table. As you can see, at WOT in the top revs, I have the spark timing set to 16 degrees. I get no knock retard with 7 PSI boost and 93 octane (premium) pump gas.

I am thinking of upping the 16 degrees to maybe 17 degrees.

Overall, how does this boosted LS3 timing table look to you ?

Thanks,

BTW ... My blower cam is a mild: . 220*/234* . .585"/.585" . 118* LSA +4 .. -9* Overlap

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 12-12-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I logged the average idle timing advance my PD blown engine wanted and then entered that value into the base idle advance table around my idle RPM and Spark Air mass. That was 18 degrees for my build; cam is 215/247 0.629,0.656 121 LSA -11 overlap @ 0.050"
    Last edited by pannetron; 12-12-2021 at 10:52 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Get a set of knock ears man, tuner nerd is the go for the home tuner.