Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 mustang How to Change to Whipple OS

2018 mustang How to Change to Whipple OS

I have a 2018 Mustang GT, it had a locked ecm and the only way around this was to use use ford FJDS programming and a J2534 programmer to install a complete new ford operating system. This in itself was a massive pain as the ford software would not recognize anything with the locked ecm. Finally I have it working and the newest ford OS for the vehicle. HPT will now read and allow me to license. The car has a gen 5 3.0 Whipple installed and I would like to run the Whipple OS, so that whipple changed items like IAT2 off the former Runner control will function. With the help of a few members on the forum I was able to gain access to a couple of Whipple OS for the vehicle. Great, so now what do I do? I already purchased four credits and licensed the calibration from the ecm in the car, when I try to program the Whipple OS into the car it wants 4 more credits. I thought HPT changed ford licensing, to the vin and ecm serial number, so once I licensed the file pulled from the car that vin and serial where licensed. I was then expecting to send the whipple calibration to the ecm and be ready to tune. I sent HPT an email asking if this theory was correct along with a question about the locked ecm. They responded, about the locked ecm and nothing about my OS change so I assumed I was correct in my thought process. So what do I do next?

Bad383TA

Advanced Tuner
    The way I understand OS changes. You have to license the car then license the new OS. Might be a third step also.

You first need to read and license/write what you got stock. Then you need to license the new OS - takes credits twice.

Each combination of VIN and OS/SERIAL NUMBER requires new licensing.

Potential Tuner
    So in a way yes u licensed the car. But what u have to look at are the tables off of the whipple file nd just copy paste to ur file. That way you don?t have to license the Whipple file you just keep your same file that you want to change and just change the tables I?m learning this myself brand new. But I?m also installing a Whipple on my 2018.

Tuning Addict
    OK, is there a step by step process for this? Only reason I ask is because I tried doing this to a 14 - I was using a 15 whipple file which may have been the whole problem, but anyway it wouldn't let me write the 15 to the 14. I also don't have a pre 15 stock file for whipple and a mustang.

The simple thing to me would to be able to take a different OS - change the vin, which ford in hpt doesn't seem to give that option unless I'm completely looking over it and then loading the OS with the changed vin. This seems to me like the easier way to go, but....

Also in correcting the earlier - a lot of things in the background is changed that wreaks havoc on stock OS's. Whipple uses a "race" cal specifically for boost with background safety switches that requires a different interface to turn on and off or change the settings of. Can't just copy tables over and expect everything to be hunky dory...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

100% correct, the Whipple calibration has dozens of OS system changes from a factory calibration. I knew this but still gave it a quick try to copy over what I could. i had over a dozen cel codes, ran horrible and a few Whipple changed items would not work. I licensed a Whipple OS and it fired up without issues and no light, but has many performance issues.

Bad383TA

Tuning Addict
    So that's literally all it takes is to license it then load the wrong vin designated OS into the car? How do you change the vin back to match so everything else works? Then do you absolutely have to use beta or something because it wouldn't let me even begin to write the cal - again a 15 into a 14, so may have been the problem.

On another note - is there anywhere you can go to find the different whipple or roush tunes? Roush - not a fan of even though they have to meet stringent tuning requirements - I know whipple uses actual ford engineers to write their cals...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    Based on my observations it looks like the Roush tune uses “actual Ford engineers” and the Whipple might use some sort of contractor. The Gen3 roush cal is eerily similar to the gt500. Whipple….not remotely close to anything I’ve seen in a Ford oem tune.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Based on my observations it looks like the Roush tune uses “actual Ford engineers” and the Whipple might use some sort of contractor. The Gen3 roush cal is eerily similar to the gt500. Whipple….not remotely close to anything I’ve seen in a Ford oem tune.
    The only similarity between 2020 GT500 and 2018 Rush is 0-13 mapped points used...but not so much on the other hand as gt500 is using 13 and rough only 6...
    Keep studying harder, you have still miles to to go...

Whipple is based on 2 gen Roush using MP's 13-26...they seem to be lost in time for 3 gen...roush calibrations are good to go
    and there is always something something wrong with whipple calibrations like there wre made by some engineer from internet...
    Last edited by veeefour; 12-20-2021 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    So that's literally all it takes is to license it then load the wrong vin designated OS into the car? How do you change the vin back to match so everything else works? Then do you absolutely have to use beta or something because it wouldn't let me even begin to write the cal - again a 15 into a 14, so may have been the problem.

On another note - is there anywhere you can go to find the different whipple or roush tunes? Roush - not a fan of even though they have to meet stringent tuning requirements - I know whipple uses actual ford engineers to write their cals...
    Well there a lot of data stored in EEPROM...there are tools you can use to read EEPROM...HPT does not want you to read EEPROM...figure out why yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    The only similarity between 2020 GT500 and 2018 Rush is 0-13 mapped points used...but not so much on the other hand as gt500 is using 13 and rough only 6...
    Keep studying harder, you have still miles to to go...
    If you think that is the only similarity, which is not even a similarity, then it appears you are the one that needs to study harder

If you think that is the only similarity, which is not even a similarity, then it appears you are the one that needs to study harder
    you think so...lmao

Tuning Addict
    Now now. Roush and whipple alike both have issues. Whipple has throttle primarily which can easily enough be fixed and roush well if roush ever found a good trans tuner they probably would't have competition. It's real funny though if you look at the different mapped points and so on you'll see one using some like mapped point 14 while leaving OP blank whereas the other uses mapped point OP and leaves 14 blank. It's almost like the same individual tunes both and does one completely opposite to the other for legal reasons or whatever...

I just know 5 yrs ago when I was working one on one with whipple they claimed they were using an honest to god ford OE tuner. Possibly not anymore, but who knows. I know roush has to be more "fully" tuned if that makes any sense and they'll throw in cold engine safeties which I'm still trying to figure out how to shut off where they won't build boost only when the engine is colder. Probably something simple I'm overlooking though.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    ?. It's almost like the same individual tunes both and does one completely opposite to the other for legal reasons or whatever...
    That makes about as much sense as any of my theories. They really are opposites in about as many ways as possible.

I just know 5 yrs ago when I was working one on one with whipple they claimed they were using an honest to god ford OE tuner.
    I was told he was a contract calibration engineer that worked for Ford and other oems as needed. I dont know but the Whipple cal doesnt look remotely like anything that has come out of Ford. My guess is they did employ said contractor with a limited number of billable hours and this is the best he could do in the timeframe given. We all know to get an oem-level cal would take a few thousand hours or more of testing and no one is willing to pay for that. I?m guessing roush paid for more hours than Whipple.

Possibly not anymore, but who knows. I know roush has to be more "fully" tuned if that makes any sense and they'll throw in cold engine safeties which I'm still trying to figure out how to shut off where they won't build boost only when the engine is colder. Probably something simple I'm overlooking though.
    Did you check LSPI load limiting? It will limit load as a function of charge temperature.

Advanced Tuner
    GHuggins, it’s probably table 7158 Max Load for Warmup, which isn’t defined in hptuners for the roush strategy, or perhaps 23870/23873 map limit vs coolant temp.
    Last edited by engineermike; 12-21-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    @ GHuggins, apparently the scale of 23870 and 23873 are actually in deg C but erroneously labeled deg F.

We installed a used Roush SC on a 2019 F-150, owner did not have the calibration file, So I called Roush for the file using their Roush Ford Performance software, loaded it with my MDI2 device I have for GM vehicles, retrieved that tune from the vehicle with HpTuners, modified the Roush tune while on the dyno.
    2018 Camaro SS, LT4 Fuel System, LT4 S/C
    2020 Ford Edge ST (93-E85 flex fuel tune)
    1999 Pontiac Firehawk
    1987 Chevy Caprice, 6.0L TT 4L80 AWD
    ***Only AWD box chevy in the world***
    Next Level Tuning and Performance
    Tuning email: [email protected]

Tuning Addict
    GHuggins, it?s probably table 7158 Max Load for Warmup, which isn?t defined in hptuners for the roush strategy, or perhaps 23870/23873 map limit vs coolant temp.
    Where are any of these in hpt? The only max load table vs coolant temp I could find was already set to 3.5...

I just did an OS search in hpt for any of these and none were labeled the same or came up. Do you mind pointing them out in this one? This is a phase 3 Roush as an example that I already tweaked a little.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GHuggins; 12-23-2021 at 09:17 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Advanced Tuner
    GHuggins looks like you might need to request some table definitions to be added. The left side is a Roush on a Gen3, right is a GT500. Both accomplish basically the same thing. After looking into this, I added it to my own calibration.

warmup limits.JPG

Tuning Addict
    160 Fahrenheit seems about right for when the problem goes away. Bucks like the dickens up until then, closing and opening the throttle... AND yes the table should be labeled as Celsius and not Fahrenheit from the looks of it and how the cars act.

I just requested that these be added into all of the coyote platforms, so we'll see.

~Greg Huggins~