Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What VE changes would you make?

Tuner in Training

What VE changes would you make?

408 CI motor SD tune,
    based on the trims i logged on a 20 minute drive, what changes would you make to the VE table if any? i know its not perfect, and a long way from it, but I am a total rookie at this, and its is 100x better than when i started.

thanks,
    chris

I wouldnt log so much stuff that is not needed, it just slows the sample rate.

Mult the ve table by the % in the histogram. I would also recommend a WB if you want to get serious about dialing it in.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    so based on the histogram, should i multiply by -3% ?

No, multiply by the given amounts in the histogram. If a cell wants 3% give it 3, if another wants 6%, then give it 6. You cannot just multiply the whole table by one number.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    so, if its AT -3 on the histogram multiply that cell by +3 ? and if its at +3, multply by -3? right??

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
    so, if its AT -3 on the histogram multiply that cell by +3 ? and if its at +3, multply by -3? right??

no, if its a negative number the computer is pulling fuel so you want to tell the ve table to pull fuel. If its a positive number the computer is adding fuel so you want to tell the ve table to add fuel. The histograms basically do the work for you
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    no, if its a negative number the computer is pulling fuel so you want to tell the ve table to pull fuel. If its a positive number the computer is adding fuel so you want to tell the ve table to add fuel. The histograms basically do the work for you
    ok, so i had it backwards? cool, thanks for the info!

Tuner in Training
    ok, so i made the changes to each individual cell, then i went to the 3D veiw of the VE table and used the smoothing function.. i used all of the smoothing functions, and i continued to click them until i didnt see any more changes takeing place... is this all correct?

no that is not, I would advise you read up on VE tuning some more and then post back up with specific questions.

Advanced Tuner
    I always just copy and paste the values until I get the numbers around +2, then i just copy and paste 1/2% to get them dialed in so I dont overshoot.
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisj6
    I always just copy and paste the values until I get the numbers around +2, then i just copy and paste 1/2% to get them dialed in so I dont overshoot.
    thanks man, i honestly did it cell by cell..took about an hour.. couldnt figure out the copy paste function, it just wouldnt paste for me.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismcdaniel
    thanks man, i honestly did it cell by cell..took about an hour.. couldnt figure out the copy paste function, it just wouldnt paste for me.
    Ask and yeh shall receive http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...iplybyhalf.swf

Tuner in Training

Ok, thanks. Now, i THINK this is where i need the 2001+ yeam modle operating system?? because with my 2000 model, when i select number 6 under the histogram, "MAF AFR Error, Air Fuel ratio error" i get this....

''This Histogram is not supported with the current loaded parameters.

If this Histogram references Tables, it is possible that the vehicle
    you are connected to does not support these Tables. It is also possible
    that the sensor required for the Table is not found in the loaded
    parameters.

If this Histogram references Sensors, it is possible that the sensor
    required is not found in the loaded parameters.

If this Histogram references PIDs, it is possible that the PID required
    is not found in the loaded parameters.

You will find all of your loaded parameters located on your Table Display.
    To add more parameters, right click the table display and click insert.

For example, if you have a histogram built that maps Timing Advance
    and you do not have Timing Advance inserted on your Table Display,
    the Histogram will not function''

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    no, it just means you arent logging the correct PID's in your table display...you'd need to log MAF(hz), commanded afr hi or low res(whatever is available for your application), & your wideband

Tuner in Training
    no, it just means you arent logging the correct PID's in your table display...you'd need to log MAF(hz), commanded afr hi or low res(whatever is available for your application), & your wideband
    So, i wont be able to do it because im running SD

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    huh? you can log maf(hz) if your in SD as long as you havent unplugged the maf sensor at least.

Tuner in Training
    huh? you can log maf(hz) if your in SD as long as you havent unplugged the maf sensor at least.

no maf brother. And its not going back in there. Im staying SD

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    then why are you trying to setup a maf error table? I think you've now confused me & the rest of the tuning world with that question.

Advanced Tuner
    I'd have a hard time tuning a MAF table with that setup.
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

Tuner in Training
    then why are you trying to setup a maf error table? I think you've now confused me & the rest of the tuning world with that question.
    guess im the confused one. I originally wasnt trying to set up a maf error table, i was just trying to figure out what changes to make to the VE table. Then someone said to cut and copy the histogram to the ve table. When i asked how to do it, someone posted a link with a little video on how to do it. When i looked at the video, there was a part of the histogram that i wasnt able to access. It took me an hour or so to figure out that i couldnt access it becuae it was a MAF table.

after all of my confusion, i figured out how to copy/speacial paste the information for the LTFT/STFT tables.

Sorry im an idiot with this computer tunning shit, my strength is in building'em, not tunning'em....unless we are talking carb applications