Thread: E38 Oil Temp / Sump Capacity / OLMS Calculations

Tuner in Training

E38 Oil Temp / Sump Capacity / OLMS Calculations

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L LC9 engine. I noticed that oil temperature can be recorded but my understanding is that this is a calculated value based off of other parameters rather than an actual sensor.

My question is what parameters drive that calculation and can they be altered? I feel like the overall capacity of the oil system would certainly play a part. I feel like the temperature and the capacity would then also play a part in the OLMS calculations. If one changes any parameters, then all the calculations don't have a prayer of being accurate. For example I have recently installed a partial bypass oil filtration system on my truck which raises the total sump capacity to around 8.5 quarts, if there was a way to update the ECM of this capacity so it might make a more educated guess, I'd love to see it.

I'm also curious about the parameters and formulas that drive the OLMS.

Is all of that stuff baked into the code and completely un-changable, or is it simply because nobody has ever had any reason to?
    Last edited by KYSilverado04; 10-28-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Senior Tuner
    if u have the low oil sensor and its 3 wire it can also be the actual oil temp sensor, unplug it and u should get the oil temp error for it, if not then its the calculation prob based on ect and loads which we cant adjust and it wouldnt be accurate anyway as the oil temp u want a proper sensor for it, logging both actual and calc on mine the calc is always a little higher about 5-9c deg