Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E38 software with 4WD

Tuner in Training
    just an update - i think i am stuck for now

wanted to flash the ecm with a new operating system.
    Connected to the TechLineConnect (soccessor to the retired TIS2Web)... but when i entered the Silverado VIN i got all the info except possibility to download because the vin entered did not match the
    actual VIN of the van. Changed the VIN with HPT in the ECM to match the Silverado. HPT reported that it had changed. But when connected back to the TLC i got the same error of a VIN mismatch.
    So probably the TLC reads not only ECM VIN but also BCM and other modules and does not allow to flash with not matched VIN numbers.
    Funny is that my 6L80 transmission came out of a 2009 Hummer H2 and it did not report he H2 VIN

Please any idea? Is it possible to get the Silverado ECM software (main operating system) as a binary file?

Advanced Tuner
    Stepping back a bit and rereading your original thread, is this all in an 09 Express Van? Other than the Transmission swap and 4x4 additions, is the rest of the vehicle stock? If so, I'm not sure swapping to the Silverado OS' will solve this and may introduce more issues (and may be causing issues now). Was the ECM and TCM OS you're running now provided by TBMSport? If so, I know Jesse has worked hard on creating them so I'd suggest checking with him for ideas as well.

As soon as you use SPS to flash these controllers, you may have to send them back to TBMSport to get them working again.

Earlier reply:
    SPS/TechLine Connect will reset everything to a factory fresh GM OS and calibration. Whatever you do in HPTuners before flashing with SPS will be overwritten, so no reason to bother changing it. Make sure you keep a copy of your current tune for both ECM and TCM as it may be helpful later on.

Get the ECM+TCM flashed via SPS first, then you can change the VIN, disable VATS (if needed), then you can proceed with tuning to suit your actual setup.

The file format won't matter, you won't be able to solve this with a binary file. The only way to properly change the OS of a Gen IV+ GM ECM is to use SPS/TechLine/Tis2Web. Only GM's kernel/flash routine can flash the separate DBW segments (2 of them), HPTuners and other commercially available software cannot. If you attempt this, you will end up with a mismatched main CPU+segments vs the DBW CPU, you will have drivability problems at best and likely a dead pedal.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Stepping back a bit and rereading your original thread, is this all in an 09 Express Van? Other than the Transmission swap and 4x4 additions, is the rest of the vehicle stock? If so, I'm not sure swapping to the Silverado OS' will solve this and may introduce more issues (and may be causing issues now). Was the ECM and TCM OS you're running now provided by TBMSport? If so, I know Jesse has worked hard on creating them so I'd suggest checking with him for ideas as well.
    Yes its a 2009 Express van (ex-ambulance with high roof). It was a Quigley 4x4 conversion, with 4L90 transmission and floor shifted NP262 T-case. But the conversion was pure mechanical, no software changes. So from the software point of vie it was still a 2WD van.
    Swapped in a 6L80 transmission from 2009 H2. The Т43 TEHCM inside the trans has still an original H2 software and VIN. TBM sports provided just the TBM T42 Interface Module and harness which goes in
    place of the original TCM.
    With HP tuners i just changed the speedo reading (number of pulses per rev) in the ECM plus some spark tables to make it smooth. In the TCM changed couple o things like lockup etc.
    So far everything works as should, it drives, shifts, does what it should do. The ONLY thing that does not work properly is the 4WD Low. Becaues the (still) 2WD ECM does not recognize the 4WD switch.
    Checked with him and we agreed that the Silverado OS might help with that.

As soon as you use SPS to flash these controllers, you may have to send them back to TBMSport to get them working again.
    Maybe i am wrong but i do not think so. TBM interface is a standalone thing.

SPS/TechLine Connect will reset everything to a factory fresh GM OS and calibration. Whatever you do in HPTuners before flashing with SPS will be overwritten, so no reason to bother changing it. Make sure you keep a copy of your current tune for both ECM and TCM as it may be helpful later on.
    Yes i know that. I have all backups. Just did the changes before this 4wdlow story, in order to make it work.

Get the ECM+TCM flashed via SPS first, then you can change the VIN, disable VATS (if needed), then you can proceed with tuning to suit your actual setup.
    That is exactly what i am trying to do but with no avail. SPS rejects to flas it because of the VIN mismatch. When i log into SPS (Techline Conect) and go to the programming section
    enter the Silverado VIN... it reads the files, then it reads the VIN from the van a i get a VIN mismatch message and can not proceed with flash.

The file format won't matter, you won't be able to solve this with a binary file. The only way to properly change the OS of a Gen IV+ GM ECM is to use SPS/TechLine/Tis2Web. Only GM's kernel/flash routine can flash the separate DBW segments (2 of them), HPTuners and other commercially available software cannot. If you attempt this, you will end up with a mismatched main CPU+segments vs the DBW CPU, you will have drivability problems at best and likely a dead pedal.
    Good to know! But what to do if the GM TechLine rejects the flash?. Why? The only thing which comes into mind is that the Silverado software differs in a such way that it disables the flash
    Or is it locked somehow? Like you can not flash the previously used ECM with another VIN?

Advanced Tuner
    True, the TCBMSport module is standalone BUT we don't know if/how/why TMBSport programmed the T43 module the way it is now.

Here's my thoughts on this project;
    1. You have an Express Van and the swap is in the van, so we ideally don't want to change what the ECM OS is as there may be issues when a Silverado OS is used in an Express. Things like HVAC differences, speedometer, and so forth come to mind.
    2. GM built Express Vans from 08-09 with E38 + T42 (LY6 + 4L80E), then in 2010-2020 use the E38 + T43 (L96 + 6L90E). So in your case, you could swap to a 2010+ ECM, ensure the wiring is correct, and use a factory 2010 Express Van ECM and TCM OS and guarantee everything works for a 6L V8 + 6LxxE transmission.
    3. The oddball part here is the 4WD swap and need for 4WD Low, so how can we isolate everything else and just enable this. It may/may not be possible with the Express ECM OS, and to your original point a floor shifted 4WD Silverado will definitely work. If we can grab the piece we need from the Silverado OS and enable it/segment swap the Express OS, that'd be an easier route that fully converting this to a Silverado OS pair.

My thinking and concern is if you switch the ECM and TCM to the Silverado OS that blindsquirrel found, it will solve the 4WD Low problem, but could introduce other issues as the underlying ECM vehicle platform is changing.

Have you checked the wiring diagrams for a Silverado vs Express to ensure the Silverado OS is pin-compatible with the Express wiring?

For TechLine, I've only used SPS before. I do know GM's been making lots of changes to their flashing tools, unfortunately I'm not sure what the workarounds are at this time. Maybe someone else on here can help with that?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Tuner in Training
    True, the TCBMSport module is standalone BUT we don't know if/how/why TMBSport programmed the T43 module the way it is now.
    have him allready pointed at this thread, he is registered here so maybe he chimes in

1. You have an Express Van and the swap is in the van, so we ideally don't want to change what the ECM OS is as there may be issues when a Silverado OS is used in an Express. Things like HVAC differences, speedometer, and so forth come to mind.

2. GM built Express Vans from 08-09 with E38 + T42 (LY6 + 4L80E), then in 2010-2020 use the E38 + T43 (L96 + 6L90E). So in your case, you could swap to a 2010+ ECM, ensure the wiring is correct, and use a factory 2010 Express Van ECM and TCM OS and guarantee everything works for a 6L V8 + 6LxxE transmission.

probably correct but i can not confirm nor deny - seems you have way more knowledge with the GM stuff than i do. But speedo works correctly (just changed the pulses per rev. in ECM)
    If i swap a 2010+ ECM, i think i need a different cluster. Plus the wiring is not stock anymore.In fact i have completly ditched the original 4speed harness. All the 4L stuff is gone including the solenoid wiring, speed sensors wiring, park/neutral switch....
    So if that?d be the way, i need to compare the E38 wiring from 08-09 to 10+ pin by pin. Probably the same for the TCM - and there is the TBM interface in between....

3. The oddball part here is the 4WD swap and need for 4WD Low, so how can we isolate everything else and just enable this. It may/may not be possible with the Express ECM OS, and to your original point a floor shifted 4WD Silverado will definitely work. If we can grab the piece we need from the Silverado OS and enable it/segment swap the Express OS, that'd be an easier route that fully converting this to a Silverado OS pair.
    My thinking and concern is if you switch the ECM and TCM to the Silverado OS that blindsquirrel found, it will solve the 4WD Low problem, but could introduce other issues as the underlying ECM vehicle platform is changing.Have you checked the wiring diagrams for a Silverado vs Express to ensure the Silverado OS is pin-compatible with the Express wiring?
    I like the idea of segment swapping the OS. That was my original idea, but that is way beyond my capabilities now. As for wiring to pin compatibility between Silverado and Express so far it seems yes. At least i checked both ECM pinouts and it looks that way. There are some pins/signals which are unused on Express and used on Silverado or vice versa.. Like the pin 2 for 4WD Low
    IMHO if the segment swap works and the ECM recognizes the ground at pin2 as a 4WD Low the rest will be OK. The trans is allready a 4WD version with low range (H2) so if the ECM knows its in 4WD low an populates this message over the bus then the TCM will be happy also. But i might be wrong.