Thread: idle search on stock engine!?

Advanced Tuner

idle search on stock engine!?

What are some things to look at if my truck's idle searches a bit during warmup. When the truck is fully warm this doesnt happen, only during open loop warmups. It goes away right when closed loop begins. This is a completely stock 5.3L with just volant intake and magnaflow catback.

Chris
    2009 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L, stock.

could be due to airflow change over the MAF?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    maybe, I cleaned it and it didnt help, so it couldnt have been that dirty. I will see if I can log idle airflow and see how far it is off. Only problem I had last time was that the in gear airflow actually showed up until a certain temp when I was logging airflow in park.

Chris

Tuner
    Increasing my Base RAF seemed to smooth that issue out on my truck. My truck used to search by increasing RPMs to 1300, then down to about 400 repeatedly (more than 10 times). Increased that in increments. After the second attempt, truck would start up & idle as if it were all stock. As the op temperature rose, idle got lower (600 rpm). After 2500 miles on the new setup, still no problems there.
    **Capt. Ron - 7th Dist. Fire**

Alot of stock trucks with etc have that problem. Clean the throttle body and blade with carb cleaner and a rag.

Have you changed the Open Loop AFR table? If so, you might have gone too lean on the cold end of things.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    Well I just put the stock table back in there a couple weeks ago. All I had done to it before was up the values to 1.00 where they were leaner. I didnt lean anything else out.

Advanced Tuner
    I just got done logging and changing the base running airflow in p/n. It stabalized it a bunch. Now I just have to do the gear and it should be taken care of except for some minor tweaking. I actually ended up taking a decent chunk of airflow out in the colder ect's, and it was closer to desired as it got warmer and ended up adding some when it got up to temp. I am anxious to see how much the gear airflow changes.