Thread: Can't Get More Than 15 degrees of timing no matter what I do (HELP!)

Potential Tuner

Can't Get More Than 15 degrees of timing no matter what I do (HELP!)

Hi everyone I'm a noob tuner trying to tune for the first time, I have a ls3/th400 1993 s10. The truck had a "Professional Tune" when I bought it but I wanted to make it my own. I noticed the "Pro Tuner" did not put much effort into tuning the VVE & MAF tables the tune was mostly done with PE. FYI A bunch of tables that I'm not familiar with had been modified. Now that I have put in the effort to dial-in the MAF & VVE tables I want to add timing back and make some power. But now it doesn't matter what I do I can't get more than 14-15 degrees at the top end. I have no Knock retard, I made sure that my IATs are not high, I even zeroed out all the SPARK flex fuel modifier tables and disabled flex fuel completely. I added 5 degrees for a total of 25 degrees spark advance and I'm still only getting 14-15 degrees at WOT. Just to confirm I flashed the tune the truck originally came with and ran it and I confirmed I have no spark retard I get a total of 27 degrees spark advance at WOT. I'm losing my mind I can't figure this out any help will be greatly appreciated. Attached is the original tune the truck had when I bought it and it's log and also attached is my latest tune and log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What happens to the trans torque management settings in an auto trans ECM when you do a manual (or non-electronic auto) conversion by simply not connecting a TCM? These are not universal arts made to work with every possible combination by flipping some switches, like with aftermarket EFI.

You need a manual trans ECM OS for everything to work as expected. The time to have picked a compatible ECM OS was before you'd picked the throttle pedal/throttle body.

Senior Tuner
    It appears like it is using the low ocatne tables but I do not see a reason why. It's got a bunch of throttle codes in it. I never seen that cause it but if it is throwing a MAF code or knock sensor code occasionally that might be why. You can copy the high octane table into the low octane table in the mean time. If your going speed density anyway you'll likely have to do this. Some OS's will still use high/low octane tables with a failed MAF but many will not.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the responses guys I really appreciate it.

blindsquirrel so your saying that as long as I don’t get a ECU that came out a manual car I will have these issues? Before I tuned the VVE and MAF tables I was getting the commended spark advance.

Alvin yes I noticed the TB codes but I think they are in permanent status, if I connect a handheld scanner they are nowhere to be seen. Thank you for the tip I haven’t tried copying and pasting the the hi octane table to the low octane table. But as an experiment I did ad 5 degrees to both tables and I still got 14-15 degrees spark advance at WOT even though the low octane was asking for 20+. This is so bazaar but again i’m new to all of this so maybe it’s something that’s very obvious and I’m just not seeing it.