Thread: Ok i am about to the end of my rope with this

Advanced Tuner

Ok i am about to the end of my rope with this

I have spent weeks on weeks messing with this tuning i i can't seem to nail it down. I posted my stock and current tune and log. my process of tuning is this.
    I copied high to low octane table
    turned off all DFCO
    set PE at 100% tps and 4500 rpm " to keep out of PE"
    EGR is inop "removed" from truck and disabled in my DTC's

here is the deal for VE tuning i tried fuel trims by taking the LTFT trim histo "usally set filter at 25 cell hits" and applying it to the ve table both single and double fire by paste special multiply %, then use the smoothing feature, save and flash, it seems i end up chasing fuel trims all over? any ideas, i cannot turn off ltft's or stft's and i cannot reset fuel trims. could this play a part? also as you look i do not have near as many parameters as most vehicals. am i asking to much to get my ltft's below +/- 5? i even tried a histo set up " off a post on here" of setting up a custom histo of LTFT+STFT and using that. which should i use LTFT or STFT+LTFT?

ok i have basically done the same with my timing, i log KR take the highest values and paste special them onto but high and low octane tables. i still end up with kr!!!

heres the killer, bought a wideband LM1 and got it all set up and caliberated to match with my hptuners! now i set my OL/CL temp to 260 to force OL
    i then get a commanded low res. of 14.20 AFR. where did it come up with that? if you look at my base AFR it's 13.0 why the difference? ok i set up my AFR error histo, i then would set the filter to 50! take that logged chart and apply it to my ve double and single tables. I finally got it around +/-2 and saved it, enabled Closed loop, now my trims are back jumping around?

Sorry for such the long post but you people are making a great tune in a couple hours........i am sinking still with weeks invested. PLEASE HELP ME give me a step by step, if possible

The base afr table is when your in pe. The open loop table when not in pe will move around because there isn't a open loop table for your truck. I would set the pe enable tps to ~75% and and the VE tables all back to stock. Set the base afr to 13.0 at all temps. Then do a wot run in 3rd gear from 1000 rpm to redline. Then apply the afr % error to the each rpm column for the low & high rpm VE tables. After you get the wot afr to 13.0, then with the truck in closed loop, if the LTFT is between -7 and 0 your good to go. If not adjust the low tps areas of the VE tables and idle VE table to get the LTFT closer. Note that the high octane pe spark table is in use when your in pe, so there is more spark timing. And set the pe delay to 0 rpm.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 12-14-2006 at 10:35 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    ok russ, that makes sense. I'll give it a try. thanks

Advanced Tuner
    ok Russ here's on for you. with the AFR PE table set to 13.00 across the chart, why do i see commanded 13.2? also my idle table goes from 0 to 100 manifold pressure? how can you have 100 kpa at idle?? my low rpm ve table goes from 0 to 100 also, when tuning how do i know which table it's going off of? do i copy and paste so my idle, low single and double all match? i am a little confused?

Quote Originally Posted by popeye55
    ok Russ here's on for you. with the AFR PE table set to 13.00 across the chart, why do i see commanded 13.2? also my idle table goes from 0 to 100 manifold pressure? how can you have 100 kpa at idle?? my low rpm ve table goes from 0 to 100 also, when tuning how do i know which table it's going off of? do i copy and paste so my idle, low single and double all match? i am a little confused?
    All the VE tables except the idle table are referenced to TPS%, the idle table is referenced to Map Kpa, and should idle in the 35 map kpa range. Hook up your wideband, and do a wot run in 3rd gear to redline using this config file. Then post your tune and the scan from this run. Is your commanded afr 13.2 at wot? Like I said several times, since your truck doesn't have an open loop table, you need to get the none PE areas of the VE tables right by the LTFT's. Each VE table is for a different RPM range, please look them over carefully.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Russ i can't get editor to open a CFG file?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    a cfg file is for the scanner, not the editor.

http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...ustomHisto.swf
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    ok foff i got it to open, i'll go and give it a try thanks a again it make alot more sence what your saying.