Thread: Eliminating Knock Retard

Eliminating Knock Retard

I want to eliminate knock retard on my C6 Z06. These are racing conditions. I would prefer to keep my timing tables the same and just add more fuel where the KR kicks in, so I use all my power. Perhaps this is not the way it works. Perhaps I have to add more fuel at general RPMs in the PE table. I am not sure. Please advise.

Attached is the KR histogram, so you can get an idea. Any advice is appreciated!

do you have any WB readings? We need to know how your fueling is and go from there.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

They all knock from the factory and run pig rich. Get rid of the excess fuel and some of the KR will go away. You MUST have a wideband to tune WOT though.

The C6 Z06 likes to be right at 13.0 AFR at WOT on all of them I have tuned. They respond EXTREMELY well to a set of Kooks headers. All of them that I have tuned with Kooks alone ran in the 490's for RWHP and about ~460 RWTQ.

They usually dyno at about 440-450 stock RWHP and about 410-430 RWTQ.

Piston to deck height varies a lot on the LS7. The one's I've seen have varied from +.007 to -.002 .

HTH
    EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    Rather than eliminating knock retard, try reducing the
    attack rate by half and doubling or quadrupling the
    decay rate. This will make it jump up less from single
    ping hits and go away a lot quicker. It will motorboat
    along in light ping if you have a steady state problem
    show up, but it's better than going bare and having
    an unexpected lean -> hard ping event eat your motor.

Potential Tuner
    I wish I could run over 7k rpms
    99 SS Vert, black on red

To be installed Jan 2007:

Just purchased, to be installed Jan 2007!:

STS Kit, T67 upgrade, FMIC, Meth Injection Kit, Tial BOV, 255lph fuel pump, 60# injectors, AEM Wideband with gauge and controller, Autometer boost gauge, dual gauge A-Pillar, Patriot Gold dual valve springs w/ Titanium retainers, HP Tuners (hopefully I tune it right!)

My 10 bolt is going down!!!

you can, wont last long though lol
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

So many useful responses, thank you all. I was considering reducing the spark, or richening PE up a bit (doesn't it knock when it's too lean?)

WS6FirebirdTA00: The only WB readings on WOT I have are from the dyno - here they are (below). The WB is not hooked up yet. It's coming.

EC_Tune: It seems to be close to 13.0, give or take the run. The dyno is before the LG pro headers, my initial post is after headers. Even with my PE adjustments, perhaps I have some leftover factory knocks? When I change PE it seems to adjust itself back later, I wait for a few runs. Odd.

jimmyblue: Very interesting. Do you mean the table "Knock Fast Recovery Rate vs. Cylair Dela vs. RPM"? I have quite a few tables under engine > spark control > spark retard.

pdanrichey: Over 7K RPMs was purely accidental.

except for the blue line, the rest look pretty lean at WOT. Get that WB and then start tuning it and I bet most if not all of the knock will go away.