Thread: Well I bricked it...help appreciated

Well I bricked it...help appreciated

So after flashing many tunes I decided I need to tweak it one more time and bricked an E38. The 1st time it's ever happened to me. I've gotten a new ECU out of a 2007 Tahoe. Before I install and buy new credits do I need to do anything special. Will my TCM be OK? I just want to make sure before I buy anything or do anything else because It's a customer's car. I'm tired of this headache and I want to give it back, as it's costing me and they don't understand of course. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Slopoke@HEATracing; 09-01-2021 at 04:05 AM.

So, I've read this and several more. It just acted as if ecu wasn't there at all. Chevy place wouldn't back it if they tech2 it and was gonna b200$. So I just bought one same year and same srv #. But, don't know how the t42 gonna do. I'm boutta hook it up now and see how angry I'll b the rest of today...smh

Senior Tuner
    It is very hard to brick an E38 doing a write calibration. There are 2 segments that will not get written to a used E38 with HP Tuners. Segments 7 and 8 Slave OS and Engine. You can go here https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web and enter the VIN for your vehicle and the VIN for the used E38 and see if they share the same segments 7 and 8. If they do not them it will require flashing with TIS2web to get segments 7 and 8 correct for your vehicle, I would bet the TCM is OK . I have had writes fail in the middle of writing T42 TMCs and they always recover.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    It is very hard to brick an E38 doing a write calibration. There are 2 segments that will not get written to a used E38 with HP Tuners. Segments 7 and 8 Slave OS and Engine. You can go here https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web and enter the VIN for your vehicle and the VIN for the used E38 and see if they share the same segments 7 and 8. If they do not them it will require flashing with TIS2web to get segments 7 and 8 correct for your vehicle, I would bet the TCM is OK . I have had writes fail in the middle of writing T42 TMCs and they always recover.
    Learn something new every day. Lucky for me I have TLConnect. I will have to give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Thank you. So, it just quit writing and I tried for a while not to turn switch back. Anyway, next time I plugged in and tried to read it, it said unlicensed vehicle and showed me nothing but the Vin and hardware. Figured it was bricked then. Wish I'd posted earlier, I've read and watched til my eyes hurt. I'm about to visit this site.

So I got a 2007 Tahoe computer and put in this thing. The transmission controller was fine everything flashed fine is running again and I have my old tune on it but but now I can't get the service theft deterrent system light to go off. I'm about to try some relearn procedures. I may have freaked out a little bit but thanks to ya 👍.