Thread: E67 GMPP switching to junkyard e67 issue

Tuner in Training

E67 GMPP switching to junkyard e67 issue

I have a crate motor e67 GMPP LS7 ecu/harness with the Connect and cruise for a 4l80e. Cammed and supercharged the motor and retuned and everything worked great like it should. Everything shifted great, the mph in both computers were dead on etc. I want to add PWM fans and the GMPP ecu doesn't offer that and I want the ecu to control and regulate the fan for that without a separate controller. I hear the answer is to ditch the GMPP ecu for a junkyard ecu. So I purchased a junkyard e67 ecu that was VIN programmed for a 2011 zr1 and transferred the tune over to the new ecu and now it doesn't recognize the Current Gear like it did with the GMPP ecu. Current Gear says "Neutral" all the time. Is it possible to keep the 4l80e with its own Connect and Cruise tcm and make it work with the junkyard e67 ecu? What would be different that it wouldn't recognize the Current gear over the GMPP ecu? All settings seem to be the same.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Corvette OS does not know how to talk to a T42. Colorado OS would have been a better choice.

Is this a swap vehicle/standalone?

Tuner in Training
    I wondered that. Are you saying I won't be able to use the standalone transmission tcm from the connect and cruise then and I need a t42 with an automatic tune from say a Colorado? If so, I would need a completely different harness? The GMPP tune has a manual transmission in it so I assume it does everything through the accessory bulkhead connector to incorporate the transmission... How should I go about this?

Yes this is the GMPP standalone connect and cruise system. I've seen guys swap out the e67 for a junkyard ecu and got them working but I never thought about the transmission part and being an automatic "add-on" for the 4l80e. The tcm I have for the Connect n Cruise has its own program separate from the ecu.

Senior Tuner
    Your Connect N Cruise TCM is manufactured for GM by a company named Powertrain Control Solutions in Ashland, Va. You might contact them and see if they can provide any guidance. Did you get it running with the new ECU? Does it have any issues since it doesn't know which gear it's in? Does the cruise control work properly?

Worst case, you can always swap to an E38/T42 combo that blindsquirrel mentioned.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the reply. I should see if I can get ahold of them.

I just transferred the important tables over and fired it up and went for a quick drive last night. Speedometer was WAY off as I know those Connect and Cruise ecu's are goofy with that(even tho I had that one spot on) and I just copied tables over to the junkyard ecu. The transmission tcm has it's own mph/tire size/gears etc in it, which makes me think some communication was lost there since it's a little different now. It still shifted through all gears but it wasn't right. Never tried the cruise control(Dakota Digital) as I'm sure it works fine. Fueling was maybe 15% rich too for some reason. I didn't have time to make any changes. All in all it ran real good for a quick switchover. Figured I needed to get the mph right and know if it's in gear or not so it's working properly before anything else -which I'm hoping is somehow possible with this Connect N Cruise tcm

Are there any interconnects between ECM/TCM, other than sharing CAN wiring? If not, then the old GMPP ECM must have had something different from production OSes in one of the segments that allow the manual trans ECM to read speed over CAN. Usually manual trans ECMs totally ignore VSS CAN inputs (it kinda sounds like that's what is happening now after the ECM/OS change), they don't even have the code bits in them to look for it there, and only look for VSS from a hardwired speed sensor.

Is the ECM reading vehicle speed? I may have been too fixated on that, that's the most common issue with auto/manual OSes. Is the only issue the 'current gear' thing in the ECM?

The TCM being designed to work as a standalone shouldn't have any issues working like it did before, and the new ECM OS being from a manual shouldn't have any issues not knowing what gear the auto trans is in.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Are there any interconnects between ECM/TCM, other than sharing CAN wiring? If not, then the old GMPP ECM must have had something different from production OSes in one of the segments that allow the manual trans ECM to read speed over CAN. Usually manual trans ECMs totally ignore VSS CAN inputs (it kinda sounds like that's what is happening now after the ECM/OS change), they don't even have the code bits in them to look for it there, and only look for VSS from a hardwired speed sensor.

You have obviously never worked with a CPP (GMPP) control system - be it an E-Rod system or a Connect and Cruise system.

All of the CPP E67 ECMs for Gen 4 engines are programmed as if they were being mated with a manual transmission.

If a 4-speed automatic transmission is used (4L65/70/80/85), it is controlled by a standalone TCM manufactured by PCS. This TCM looks similar to a production T42 TCM - with the notable exception that the main connector has been rotated 90 degrees.

The CPP E67 ECM may be accessed via the OBD-II (DLC) Port, and reprogrammed using any popular tuning software.

The TCM may only be accessed via a 3-wire connector. The kit includes a mating 3-wire connector with a USB connector on the other end - to establish communications with a Notebook / Laptop computer.

The TCM uses proprietary software, and requires that the end user download the corresponding interface software, if they wish to make any changes to the TCM programming.
    Last edited by Shrek; 08-24-2021 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo

Tuner in Training
    Just wanted to update this... Looks like my options are get a standalone PWM fan controller, which won't let run the A/C settings from the ecu so that means fan is on full speed when the A/C is on, or... If I can get an older GMPP ecu I hear those still have everything needed to run a PWM fan and if I go that route I'd be stuck scaling the tune as the injector limit on those is the 63lbs.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fed View Post
    Just wanted to update this... Looks like my options are get a standalone PWM fan controller, which won't let run the A/C settings from the ecu so that means fan is on full speed when the A/C is on, or... If I can get an older GMPP ecu I hear those still have everything needed to run a PWM fan and if I go that route I'd be stuck scaling the tune as the injector limit on those is the 63lbs.
    Is your only issue switching from the gmpp e67 to a junkyard e67 communication with the transmission? The the 2nd e67 run the engine as with the gmpp unit?

Potential Tuner
    Ugh, I'm lost. can you guys help me understand what I need to do? I'm using a GMPP (525) CPP E67 ECM for my LS Swap with a 2012 Camaro LS3 and TR6060 manual. I started with the idle problems so I'm using the 430 base program. Will that fix K-Fed's issue as well? for me, I'm not seeing any "current gear" P/N or in gear parameters that I'm expecting in the latest VCM Scanner with MVPI2+. I think I'm expecting that with all of the idle parameters being dependent. I'd love a little higher idle when in gear vs. in neutral (I let the kids drive). Maybe it doesn't matter? I think I just have the JEGS reverse lockout and I'm not seeing how the transmission was wired to the controller (for speed VSS) and my Dakota digital is off and won't calibrate for MPH due to low pulse count.

LS3 19354331 Module Asm LS376-480
    ECM 19258271 E67 Gen4
    Packard Electric Fuse-Relay 19166573