Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P16F3 code that I cant get rid of

Tuner in Training

P16F3 code that I cant get rid of

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this. 2016 Corvette with LT1, 8 Speed Auto, A&A YSI-B Blower with Alky Meth, Headers, Catless Xpipe, BTR Cam.

Every time I go WOT the car will go into limp mode. I pull over clear the code and it keeps coming up. Sometimes I have to clear it 5 or 6 times before it goes away. Finally get it cleared and drive away. A minute later the REP comes back during regular driving (light acceleration and even in deceleration) and have to clear the code 8 times before it clears. I have tried disabling the code but it will still go into REP mode, but this time unable to clear the code until I re-enable it again. ECU software has been updated over a year ago by GM and I reinstalled the tune.

Is it possible I didnt reinstall the tune correctly after the GM software update? Or is it possibly the tune. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is the tune file.

Thx
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am not sure on this but I wonder about an issue between the update (probably new OS number) you got a year ago from GM and reinstalling your old tune (with older OS). Again, I am not sure about this but it makes sense to me that after getting an update from GM, you should read the new update and apply your original changes to that program and reload it. I guess that it all depends what GM changed in their update but putting your old tune back in over the top of it might be incompatible.

A couple of seconds on google shows that this code was pretty common on totally stock GM rigs in 2015 or so...until GM's update. So it is likely that the update GM did would have resolved it. So my suggest is still to go back to GM's update, read it, and add your tuning changes to it. Probably the issue will be resolved.
    Last edited by IARLLC; 08-14-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. I just tried that and it didnt resolve the issue. I cant even go 1 mile down the road without the REP coming up. It takes 3 to 4 tries to clear the P16f3 code. Once its cleared I drive about 700 feet before it comes on again. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Itzqwik; 08-14-2021 at 08:36 PM.

When I get back to my shop tomorrow I will look up more specific diagnostic info on it.

Advanced Tuner
    This error is usually caused by a calibration / software security error. E.g. you've done something that causes the torque manager to think the software has gotten into a non plausible state. About the only thing you can do is start unwinding your changes to see which one might be causing this. Good luck.

Advanced Tuner
    It's torque model related. Care to share a log with the proper torque pids logged?

Tuner in Training
    Here is a log I did of a wot run when it went into limp mode.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    This error is usually caused by a calibration / software security error. E.g. you've done something that causes the torque manager to think the software has gotten into a non plausible state. About the only thing you can do is start unwinding your changes to see which one might be causing this. Good luck.
    I don't think so I had a problem with 2016 model doing this even with stock tune installed back

Tuner
    Did you have the TCM reprogrammed with gm software? There is a service bulletin for that dtc to reprogram the TCM software.

Tuner in Training
    I replaced the ECU and had the GM Software updated. The TCM was untouched. I will get the ECU and TCM updated with the latest GM software and see if that will resolve my problem. Can anyone explain the proper procedure to install my tune after I have the ECU and TCM updated with the latest GM software.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I updated the TCM and everything else that needed updating with the latest GM software today. I tried updating the ECU but it says that I already have the latest software.

I copied and pasted everything in my tune file to my stock file and loaded it to the ECU. Drove about 600ft and REP pops up on the display. Scan it and of course P16F3. I am starting to think that it might be the tune itself that is causing the problem. Anyone have any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by Itzqwik View Post
    Ok, I updated the TCM and everything else that needed updating with the latest GM software today. I tried updating the ECU but it says that I already have the latest software.

I copied and pasted everything in my tune file to my stock file and loaded it to the ECU. Drove about 600ft and REP pops up on the display. Scan it and of course P16F3. I am starting to think that it might be the tune itself that is causing the problem. Anyone have any insight?
    Use a little caution with SPS, TLC. Many times I have had the warning message that "You are using the latest software already" and I know that it is modified. I will go ahead and perform the programming again just to make absolutely sure I am dealing with stock spec latest greatest software.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Use a little caution with SPS, TLC. Many times I have had the warning message that "You are using the latest software already" and I know that it is modified. I will go ahead and perform the programming again just to make absolutely sure I am dealing with stock spec latest greatest software.
    How do you get around the lock in SPS when it tells you an ecu/tcm is on the latest software and won't flash?

To OP, I've dealt with this a couple of times. Never the same fix twice. I'd start with a stock torque model and see if it fixes it, and then slowly work your way back up to being reasonable for your mods.

Tuner in Training
    TheMechanic - How do I force the ECU to take the update even though it says it has it?

Sevinn - I will try what you suggested.

"How do I force the ECU to take the update even though it says it has it?"

SPS used to give a warning but allowed repeating an update. About 2 years ago they changed their system to block such attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    "How do I force the ECU to take the update even though it says it has it?"

SPS used to give a warning but allowed repeating an update. About 2 years ago they changed their system to block such attempts.
    That's odd. I have done 4 of them in just that last 2 weeks.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    That's odd. I have done 4 of them in just that last 2 weeks.
    Can you walk through your exact selections in the menus?

In the old days, if SPS did not want to allow a different calibration we just programmed as a replacement instead of an update. Some time around late 2014 I recall seeing warnings about reloading the same calibration, but you could still go ahead with it. Maybe it was around 2018 or 19 I had a case where SPS would not allow me to reflash a 2017 BCM to the same OS but a different VIN. I found that GM even published a TSB about it at the time. It only applied to certain modules though. I got around it by changing one of the unimportant options in one of the menus. Then once the BCM was happy to be the new VIN, I put all of the options back and flashed it as it should be. Not that big a deal, just a work around. Maybe GM ran into enough situations where they needed to reflash a PCM that already had the latest cal so they removed the limitation. That would be good news for those of us that prefer flashing good used modules to other VIN's instead of buying new every time we do a swap or custom work.

Tuner in Training
    Did some more testing today and I put the ECU Torque Model settings back to stock. Car ran the same. I put the Torque Model tables back to the way they were and then thought hmmmmm, let me turn off my Alky Control and see if that does anything. Car ran perfectly fine with it off, brought it up till about 3psi of boost and still worked fine, no REP. So I turned the meth back on and did a WOT pull and worked great until I let go of the gas and REP came back on. Tried it twice and REP only comes on during decel after WOT. Anyone encounter something like this?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Itzqwik View Post
    Did some more testing today and I put the ECU Torque Model settings back to stock. Car ran the same. I put the Torque Model tables back to the way they were and then thought hmmmmm, let me turn off my Alky Control and see if that does anything. Car ran perfectly fine with it off, brought it up till about 3psi of boost and still worked fine, no REP. So I turned the meth back on and did a WOT pull and worked great until I let go of the gas and REP came back on. Tried it twice and REP only comes on during decel after WOT. Anyone encounter something like this?
    Wow, that's a wild one! Thanks for keeping us posted on this!

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying that ONLY when you're spraying water/methanol, AND you dump the accelerator after a WOT pull, this happens?