Thread: TPS goes to 14% after start-up

Tuner

TPS goes to 14% after start-up

No matter if I max out the start-up and the minimum airflow table, the TPS goes to 14% and eventually kills the engine. I've never ran across this before and am quite baffled. You can see the spark keeps increasing to reach target idle, but that's not enough.

2007 Suburban (e38/t42)
    5.3/4L80E
    SD
    FIC 1000cc Injectors
    Flex
    On3 76mm

V2.4 SA_RAF.hpt
    21-08-04 20-00-13.hpl

Edit: I can feather the throttle to keep it running. Once it's warm, the idle is good, and it drives great.
    Last edited by LaTechGTO; 08-04-2021 at 09:09 PM.

Is your injector off time supposed to be 0 ?
    IVT Terms (AFR Term) needs to be halved for the double stoich.
    Base running airflow looks high to me unless you have a donkey cam.
    Normally if doesn't run well in open loop and it runs good in closed loop, you need to adjust the VE table.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    Is your injector off time supposed to be 0 ?
    IVT Terms (AFR Term) needs to be halved for the double stoich.
    Base running airflow looks high to me unless you have a donkey cam.
    Normally if doesn't run well in open loop and it runs good in closed loop, you need to adjust the VE table.
    Never touched that table. Maybe the previous tuner??

At any rate the TB closing to 14% no matter the RAF or SU Air does not make sense to me. I made a note to verify the MAF is failing correctly bc when I was brainstorming earlier, I do not recall seeing a CEL.

Cam is similar to a SS2.

Just stating OL vs CL Diff - the adaptive idle TB portion seems to work in CL and not in OL for some reason.

This is a VERY base tune to get it going. So far, I have only adjusted idle and adjacent cruising cells to get the fueling correct.
    Last edited by LaTechGTO; 08-05-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Tuner
    Another evening of troubleshooting. No matter what I do, the TB goes to 14% directly after it fires up, causing the RPMs to drop and kills the engine. It's almost like there's a ceiling on the max TB opening during idle despite making huge swings in the minimum running airflow table as well as the multipliers. Any advice?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTechGTO View Post
    Another evening of troubleshooting. No matter what I do, the TB goes to 14% directly after it fires up, causing the RPMs to drop and kills the engine. It's almost like there's a ceiling on the max TB opening during idle despite making huge swings in the minimum running airflow table as well as the multipliers. Any advice?
    Go to the Engine Tab>Idle>Airflow and increase the Max Fail Effective area to 8191.
    Go to the Engine Diagnostics Tab>Airflow and 0 the Test ERT Min and the Test Enable Delay.
    That will ensure that it fails the MAF right away.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Go to the Engine Tab>Idle>Airflow and increase the Max Fail Effective area to 8191.
    Go to the Engine Diagnostics Tab>Airflow and 0 the Test ERT Min and the Test Enable Delay.
    Thanks! Just adjusted the tune. I?ll it that in the morning while my neighbors are waking up. 3.5? dump right off the turbo should sound pretty good?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    The Max Fail change did it! Thanks again!

Also, I should learn to read table descriptions. Says it right there - if you fail the MAF, the value is the Max area?
    Last edited by LaTechGTO; 08-06-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Good deal. Thanks for the update!