Thread: EIO and nitrous control

Tuner

EIO and nitrous control

Right now the only thing holding me back from getting from getting the std. version of hp tuners is this:
    Can I setup the EIO of hp pro to work like a wot window switch? if so, how time consuming is this to setup? Can I set it up to cut-off if my wideband(lc-1) starts to read lean?

Tuner
    Since no one with actual experience with this has chimed in I am going to answer.

Yes you could use the pro ouputs to trigger a nitrous setup using multiple logic for on and off. Configure the output with something like TPS = 100 and RPM > 3000 to fire it. Turn it off at less than 100% throttle or AFR goes lean. etc.... If you wanted to spray through shifts...

Attached a screenshot.

03 Silverado Z71, 6.0L (LQ4), Magnacharger Radix, 90mm TB, 9psi boost, 60# Mototron FM Injectors, Meth Injection, LPE GT7 Cam, PI Vigilante 2600, FLT Level 5 4l65E, Dynatech, Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust, Detroit True-Trac, 4.10's, Electric Fans, AirAid CAI. HSW Dry Nitrous with 50 shot. 11.73 @ 114 - 2Bar SD - @@@Photos and Video@@@

Tuner
    sweet, that answers my question! So for the disable trigger I could do something like "[sensor 90] < 80 or [sensor 120] > 12.2 or [pid.12] > 6050"?

Also...another noob question..Did you create all those sensor and pids yourself or do they already come with the software pre-defined?

Tuner
    You can create custom PID's but the ones in the screen shot are already there.

I got to thinking about it and as far as a disable for nitrous I probably wouldn't use and RPM sensor. That condition must be met before it will turn the output off. I can see circumstances where I wouldn't see 6000 rpm and not turn the nitrous off which would get ugly. Anyway it can be done but just make sure its working like you want. Maybe hook up a light to the output first and testing everything before going live with it.

03 Silverado Z71, 6.0L (LQ4), Magnacharger Radix, 90mm TB, 9psi boost, 60# Mototron FM Injectors, Meth Injection, LPE GT7 Cam, PI Vigilante 2600, FLT Level 5 4l65E, Dynatech, Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust, Detroit True-Trac, 4.10's, Electric Fans, AirAid CAI. HSW Dry Nitrous with 50 shot. 11.73 @ 114 - 2Bar SD - @@@Photos and Video@@@

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    just remember, if you put in tps = 100 tps must equal 100.000000000 lol meaning if its 99.4% it wont enable it. Thats why I've gotten used to just using the > < signs more often then = to
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    Just a note for you nitrous guys, have your commanded AFR go to the "richer, NO2 setting" just before the nitrous kicks. Don't let your baby go lean at ANY TIME!! This is the big one for any motor.

I know, your gonna' tell me your a wet set up. But in any case, this will be good for anyone running a dry set up. Can be very easily overlooked and before you know it, BOOM!

Tuner
    so how would you adjust for that 150 shot lean spike with a plate kit?? mess with the ltft's around the 2900-3100 rpm area??!!

Tuner
    A note to this. I came up with an idea to use the output of the MPVI pro. An LED to come on under different circumstances. First being when KR was above a percent. Just to give me a visual feedback of KR.

The outputs only work with the laptop attached and logging with the output configured. Outputs do not appear to work in standalone

Tuner
    let me get this straight...so even with PRO these outputs we are discussing will not work unless the laptop is hooked up?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redgto4u
    let me get this straight...so even with PRO these outputs we are discussing will not work unless the laptop is hooked up?
    Thats what I am seeing. I hooked up the led to an output, tied to throttle position just for ease. Loaded up the config file to the MPVI. As long as the laptop is hooked up and logging works just fine. Unhook the laptop with normal and record going on the MPVI nothing from the output. NO LED.

Advanced Tuner
    hmmm, gives me an idea for a boost retard pid

interesting.

has anybody actually successfully done this?

outputs on the cables are 5v or less.

juice uses a much higher voltage.

subscribed.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by usd2sing
    interesting.

has anybody actually successfully done this?

outputs on the cables are 5v or less.

juice uses a much higher voltage.

subscribed.
    It's documented within HPT. You would use the output from the EIO, which is a ground, tied to the coil on a relay. Then drive anything needing power from the contacts on the relay.

Tuner
    yea so you basically set it up as a ground seeking circuit. The power is already there, just waiting on the ground.

Advanced Tuner
    Just to chime in, I'm using the EIO output as a knock alarm. I can't ever hear my LS2 knock no matter what, so I got a piezo buzzer from radioshack and setup a KR output. It goes off if it sees knock greater than .8 for 5 frames, and if it = zero, shut off. Works great, but light throttle tip in knock is freakin' annoying.
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    hey guys, sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread, but would this eio output work even if not connected to a laptop? or would this "window switch" only be realized when connected?

thanks
    2005 SS/SC
    Performance Mods: 2.8/60lb; Meth Inj; Zex 50 Wet; K&N Intake; KSports; Hurst STS; Pacesetter Header; Dual Interceptors; LC-1 Wideband
    Appearance Mods: CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES
    Oh Yeah, I Also Have This

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibosh3 View Post
    hey guys, sorry to resurrect such an ancient thread, but would this eio output work even if not connected to a laptop? or would this "window switch" only be realized when connected?

thanks
    Not that I know only when connected to a laptop.

Tuner
    I second that...maybe a new revision will include this capability.