Thread: 2001 Mustang GT turbo tune

2001 Mustang GT turbo tune

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with a 2001 GT that I'm trying to tune in. Car has an On3 turbo kit, PMAS HPX upgraded MAF, and DeutschWerks 78lb injectors.

The issue I'm running into is with the load based fuel and spark tables. I can't seem to get it to command a load greater than 1.0. I would assume that if this is a pressure ratio, on boost it should be over 1.0. The problem that this causes is that when the car goes into closed loop mode, it trims to essentially 14.0 AFR which is no good. I can circumvent this a little bit by extending the closed loop delay and using the MAF table to get a good mixture under boost, but only while in open loop. Eventually it always goes back into closed loop. And this won't really be a fix for ignition.

Can anyone help give me a crash course with this ECU?

Below are two logs. One open loop, and one closed loop. The fuel trims baffle me a bit, not sure if it really still trims in open loop.

TUNE_redo_test_0003.hpt

short_run_OL.hpl

short_run_CL.hpl

Advanced Tuner

There is some good information in there, thank you. Some of the details are hard to follow since the references are named differently, or not found in HP Tuners.

Here's an example. Normally I would think that I should rescale the the rows to bump the load up past 1.0, but for the sake of this example, let's leave it as it is. Here's what I believe is the commanded lambda by load and RPM. Anything at a load of 1.0 or greater, it should be lambda 0.76:
    load1.png

However, during the scan you can see it's not commanding lambda 0.76, in fact, it's commanding lambda 1.21 which is no where on this table.
    OL-graph.png

Can anyone help me to make sense of this? Spark is the same, but let's start with this one first...

Advanced Tuner
    lol the scanner is wrong

you can clearly see its commanding 20% enrichment.

OK, so assuming the VCM scanner is incorrect, why then once it goes into closed loop...which I am still trying to figure out how to prevent...the same tune switches to command a richer lambda yet consequently begins to pull fuel and leans out? Drastically different results with the same tune, just one in OL and one CL.

My normal mode of operation would be to add fuel in at these MAF ADC points, but if it's pulling it already, how do you correct this?

CL-graph.png

Advanced Tuner
    its clearly rich in there you need to lean it out

you adjust the maf to dial in the fuel not to get an afr you desire

read the write up again

I'm not sure if you saw in the graph, but when it's in CL, the wideband is 15:1 AFR and it's trying to pull fuel yet commanding 12.9:1. It's not rich by any means.

Does anyone have an HPT file they can share where they successfully tuned a 2001 that had any type of forced induction? I'm suspecting based on the lack of information specific to HP Tuners, it's not very common?

I realize this isn't helpful/answering you, but...

As you have no doubt seen, this is effectively an unsupported platform and specifically the scanner is utterly useless on the car. Most of us working around the margins are using old SCT devices to log. I'm thinking back on here, and I'm not aware of .. what I'd call ... success stories of FI tuning on this forum. Most of it are people like me with simple bolt-on cars nibbling around the edges.

My unsolicited opinion, especially on car like this, go QH and call it a day. The only reason I don't is because for my use case I made it work, and I don't want to put any more money into a car thats my beater I leave in TX when I'm in town for work.

Quote Originally Posted by kjlindgr View Post
    Does anyone have an HPT file they can share where they successfully tuned a 2001 that had any type of forced induction? I'm suspecting based on the lack of information specific to HP Tuners, it's not very common?

Advanced Tuner

Potential Tuner
    kjlindgr
    diid u fix ur problem? i got the issues