Thread: VE tuning timing prob.

Advanced Tuner

VE tuning timing prob.

I am back to ve tuning since I have a laptop again (thanks Santa). I think my tune is setup for ve tuning and the maf failed and all, but for some reason it looks like it is using the HO timing table and not reverting to the LO timing table. Log and tune attached. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    thats because ls2's use both the high/low octane tables in SD unlike LS1's.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    #$%^

Damn LS2's are so quirky. I am going on 9 months of tuning off and on now, and I still don't think I know enough.

So, it takes the higher value between them or averages them?

Another problem I have is if I run the car normally and log the delivered torque, it is much higher then the same tune but changed to SD with the same AFR at WOT. Is the calculation looking for the MAF?

When watching the NB O2's, is .890 richer than .910? Is .95 lamda on the LM-1 richer than 1.02?

Thanks

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    Damn LS2's are so quirky. I am going on 9 months of tuning off and on now, and I still don't think I know enough.
    <--going on 3 years & still don't think I know enough, get used to it lol

So, it takes the higher value between them or averages them?
    not sure about LS2's but LS1's have a knock learn factor pid you can log to see what table its leaning more towards.

Another problem I have is if I run the car normally and log the delivered torque, it is much higher then the same tune but changed to SD with the same AFR at WOT. Is the calculation looking for the MAF?
    dunno

When watching the NB O2's, is .890 richer than .910?
    not necessarily, but possibly yes, stock o2's are so innacurrate though its hard to tell.

Is .95 lamda on the LM-1 richer than 1.02?
    yes
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Still having a problem here. I have a VE tune that I feel is the same as a normal tune, yet the normal tune makes 420 ft lbs estimated calc'd torque, where as the VE tune only makes 350 ft lbs. The only other differance, is that the TM tables have been decreased. Is it using those to calculate torque?

I realize NB's are innaccurate, but I'm trying to figure out a trend. Is .850 richer than .910?
    Last edited by PurplePiss; 12-06-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Tuner
    The higher voltage SHOULD be richer. There is no guarantee with the NB though.

There is a reason people are using widebands you know
    1999 C5 FRC

Advanced Tuner
    I have a wb, but the lm-1 power cord was laying across the console one night and so was my wife, and well, the wbo2 was unpowered for awhile so I'm just trying to see if I'm trending in the right direction.

Advanced Tuner
    I switched back to a MAF tune which is pretty close to stock other than a little timing and more fuel. I can't get it to stop knocking. I have tried pulling the timing back, adding more fuel, pull timing, add more fuel. Still knocks. It doesn't knock at like 80% throttle but still in PE, at 100% throttle after it has finally reached the commanded afr, it starts to knock.

Is it too rich? As stated above, my wb is shot for now, so don't look at the afr, the nb's are reporting .900-.905. Commanded PE is 12.0 at the lowest point.

Can someone take a look? I am also getting some knock up in the 2000 rpm light load, but it may be nothing.

Also, is the torque calculation remotely close? Is it atleast relative so I can use it to see if my changes are making a positive impact on 1/4 mile times? More torque = faster 1/4 mile or is that not true?

Thanks

everything I have read said tha the higher the number the richer it is. ex. .900 is richer than .890
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

Try this config if you want to as well as a few of these histograms:

The Burst Retard histogram should only indicate when you actually have burst retard.

You can also use Total KR to see both KR and Burst KR. Just subtract out the KR from total KR in a custom PID to see burst KR alone.
    Always Support Our Troops!