Thread: I am going insane...

Potential Tuner

I am going insane...

I have built a 2005 5.3 and put a 54-426-11 cam with shorty headers the rest is stock except for the heavy springs I installed on the heads. IT wont start.

I Have checked and polished all 3 grounds. I have fuel injecting, I have spark. We pulled a plug and watched it spark and smelled the gas on the plug. I want to learn to tune it. But without it running kind of hard.

Can someone with way more knowledge than I atleast tell me if the attached htp file is a step in the right direction or guide me into what I need to change? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am at the point my next step is to pull the front cover and wee if I have my timing marks for the crank and cam aligned correctly. I am 99% sure they are. Isnt the first motor I have ever put together....

Thanks in advance

MrPlumber
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Should at least start on the stock tune. Smelling gas on a plug is not anyway to test for fuel. See if it will at least try to start on starting fluid. Check for injector pulse with noid light if you are sure it has spark. Do you have rpm on scanner while cranking?

Does it run on brake cleaner?

I don't see anything on the tune that won't let it start.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Should at least start on the stock tune. Smelling gas on a plug is not anyway to test for fuel. See if it will at least try to start on starting fluid. Check for injector pulse with noid light if you are sure it has spark. Do you have rpm on scanner while cranking?
    OK. Woke up and found the battery was deadish. Had bad battery connections. Cleaned them and got a charger on it. I wend to AutoZone and borrowed a fuel pressure kit and noid lights... I have 55psi at the rail and while cranking. I put a noid light on an injector and got a few pulses. Not sure how many pulses I should get. I believe it lit up like 2 times in about 15 seconds.

I am not seeing the RPM gauge move int eh scanner when I am cranking the engine. ?? I am assuming I should?

Yesterday I was thinking the injectors may of been stuck. So I pulled them all out. Hooked them up to a diy injector cleaner harness. Tehy all clicked and sprayed carb cleaner when voltage was applied.

I also put a new crank sensor in when I rebuilt the engine. Where does the injector pulse originate from? The crank or Cam?

thanks

MrPlumber

Senior Tuner
    Should have rpm indication in scanner when cranking. That is crank sensor driven. Since you messed with the crank sensor i would start looking there. It is a critical sensor. It is also advised to only use a AC Delco sensor, and not a auto store parts brand.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts and advice..... I truly owe you both a beer or two or three... I traced and check the cam and crank sensors..... I replaced the crank sensor and she fired right up....

Thanks again gentles. I am now on a good high.

MrPlumber