Thread: Tuning Differences Between Gen III and Gen IV Motors

Tuning Differences Between Gen III and Gen IV Motors

My Procharged C5 got totaled and I used the settlement to get the below C6. I sold my serial version of HPT and re-bought the MPVI which is needed to tune LS2's. I don't have it in hand yet but I'm wondering what kinds of things to look out for that are new to the LS2 tables.

I'm also looking for advice tuning this monster cam. It's got a 238/242 .605/.610 on a 112 LSA. The thing idles like a Harley. It doesn't come on until over 4000 RPM's not that it can be tuned out. I never paid much attention to cam tuning threads since I had the stock LS1 cam in the C5. I would like to make it idle and behave as docile as possible or I may end up yanking it for something tamer.

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    dual maf tables, different units in the VE table, more resolution in many of the other tables, completely different fan turn on tables, more TM stuff to deal with, different Open loop tables then your used to, base airflow tables are very different as well.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    Pretty much get what you learned on how to tune Gen3 engines and toss it out the window. Gen4s are not the same, as you will find out. The basic theory still applies to some tables. Just be patient and adjust things slowly for results. Good luck.

Sweet. Well it will keep me off the streets I guess . I downloaded a stock '05 BIN from the repository and opened it in the editor. Didn't think it would work since my current serial version is not licensed for it. It opened but there are a lot of parameters missing. Is this the case or is it just because I am not licensed for it yet? Seems weird that I could open it it but only see a portion of the tables.
    Bill Winters

You will be able to view & edit all the tables, but can't save the file if you don't have the license for it. What version do you have?

Russ Kemp

Are you in Basic, Standard, or Advanced mode in the Editor? (had to ask...)

BTW: the C6 has very few idle params to adjust as it's much more math intensive compared to the C5. The VE table is not in % units either. If you need some scanner setups for your 05, drop me an email. I've got a ton of them.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

I'm running 2.1.14 in advanced view mode. Under Engine, General there is nothing about the shift light (which I guess I never used anyway), nothing about EGR (I guess no need since there isn't an LS2 with an EGR), like you said there is very little in the idle tab, nothing in the dynamic airflow tab, I see the two MAF tables (whatever they did that for), I guess it's all here. There's just so much more white space now compared to the LS1 BIN. What's up with the fan settings? % VS: ECT? And the table starts at 192'... No way to disable the AC VS: RPM or TPS.

It's less confusing in some areas; less tables to deal with, and more difficult in other areas; dual MAF tables, weird VE units.

When I take a look at what is available in the C5 that is not in the C6 BIN there is really nothing missing that I ever messed with on the C5. The only thing I can find is the A/C on/off.
    Bill Winters

The STFT and LTFT tables have the RPM on the x axis. Weird.
    Bill Winters

Tuning a cam like this is quite easy, I fit and tune cams 240/242 112 or 110 all the time, to smooth out your idle play with your idle overspeed and underspeed and also your VE at idle, just these adjustments have a big impact on your idle quality.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    My Procharged C5 got totaled and I used the settlement to get the below C6. I sold my serial version of HPT and re-bought the MPVI which is needed to tune LS2's. I don't have it in hand yet but I'm wondering what kinds of things to look out for that are new to the LS2 tables.

I'm also looking for advice tuning this monster cam. It's got a 238/242 .605/.610 on a 112 LSA. The thing idles like a Harley. It doesn't come on until over 4000 RPM's not that it can be tuned out. I never paid much attention to cam tuning threads since I had the stock LS1 cam in the C5. I would like to make it idle and behave as docile as possible or I may end up yanking it for something tamer.

LS2 Alloy Block 402 - VORTECH V7 Gilmer driven 15 psi 937.3 rwhp street driven.

The LS2 doesn't appear to have the idle overspeed or underspeed parameters. Very different from the LS1.
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    The LS2 doesn't appear to have the idle overspeed or underspeed parameters. Very different from the LS1.
    Actually it kind of does, they are under the transition and coastdown setting.

Ah, under spark control. I was looking at idle.
    Bill Winters