Thread: Bought a spare e38 - do I have to buy more credits

Tuner

Bought a spare e38 - do I have to buy more credits

I bought a used e38 today for my 2010 Camaro.
    Now that it's installed, HP Tuners is telling me that it's an unlicensed VIN (or something). So I've tried a "Write Entire" (failed) and a "Write VIN/VATS/..." and that failed too with the VIN warning.
    Do I really need to buy 2 more credits to flash my current tune into a 2nd ECM?
    Or what am I doing wrong?

Senior Tuner
    Yes, you will have to buy two more credits to license the new ECM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Yes, you will have to buy two more credits to license the new ECM.
    OK. Thanks for the quick reply!

And, you cannot properly do a full reprogramming on a Gen4 ECM using HPT. 6 segments in the HPT file vs 8 segments in the GM calibration. If the 2 hidden segments are not compatible with the new file you try to write, hello endless mystery problems you have no way to diagnose.

If you bought an E38 from a same year same platform same engine same trans same everything except it's got a different VIN, AND if the existing OS has the same calibrations in the 2 hidden segments, you might get by with it. But it's not the right way to do it.

Tuner
    That's actually why I bought another ECM.
    Years ago, my wiring melted and fried my OEM one. I bought one from GM that showed it was from a Saturn something or other. I had the dealer flash it; but I always had one strange problem that no one else has encountered. Even with that one injector temp offset table zero'd out, if I'd flash the car when it was up to temperature, the car would go ridiculously lean. I'd reflash the identical values and it'd be normal again.
    I'm no better off with this ECM, cause HPT was showing this one has the 2013 Silverado segments, so it won't let me flash it. IDK if I want to put up with my local dealership flashing the segments into it. Becoming an expensive experiment.

A GM dealer will be using GM reprogramming tools and GM software that can access all parts of the ECM.