Thread: LS7 in 05 GTO

Tuner

LS7 in 05 GTO

I want to put new LS7 in 05 GTO can HPT reset VCM from 24x to 58x Reluctor wheel:? Any one know if my LS2 oil pan and oil pump setup will work on LS7?
    I would think 05 06 GTO would be same but GMPP says 05 is 24x and 06 is 58x anyway the LS7 crate only comes 58x. Next Im gna pull trigger and see what I have if I need too, just may take a fiew days to get to. What about Flashing with 06 File?
    Last edited by TrekGTO; 11-26-2006 at 10:20 PM.

The LS7 is equipped with a dry sump oiling system as installed in the ZO6. So there is no dipstick or oil cap, and has a scavenger pump in front of the oil pump and a different oil pan with an integral oil pick up tube. And the 06 & newer LSx engines use a different reluctor than the 05 LSx.

As far as I know, the 06 & up pcm's are different (no ve table) and some differences as to the pids that are supported for scanning. And there are no tables in the editor to change to be able to use the 06 & up reluctor, so you will have to swap the crankshaft reluctor.

Russ Kemp

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    no, you'd need to change the reluctor wheel from my understanding.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    No, you'd have to swap the crank reluctor. And it's a 58x wheel (60 teeth, 2 missing) on the newer stuff, not 48. We've done this swap, C5 though not GTO, because that's what the owner wanted. Personally I'd look at Katech or SDPC's offerings, etc if you're just looking for a 427..

Quote Originally Posted by TrekGTO
    I want to put new LS7 in 05 GTO can HPT reset VCM from 24x to 48x Reluctor wheel:? Any one know if my LS2 oil pan and oil pump setup will work on LS7?
    I would think 05 06 GTO would be same but GMPP says 05 is 24x and 06 is 48x anyway the LS7 crate only comes 48x. Next Im gna pull trigger and see what I have if I need too, just may take a fiew days to get to. What about Flashing with 06 File?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    The LS7 is equipped with a dry sump oiling system as installed in the ZO6. So there is no dipstick or oil cap, and has a scavenger pump in front of the oil pump and a different oil pan with an integral oil pick up tube. And the 06 & newer LSx engines use a different reluctor than the 05 LSx.

As far as I know, the 06 & up pcm's are different (no ve table) and some differences as to the pids that are supported for scanning. And there are no tables in the editor to change to be able to use the 06 & up reluctor, so you will have to swap the crankshaft reluctor.

Russ Kemp
    Thanx
    Ya thats y I was asking about my LS2 oil pan and oil pump setup will working on LS7?
    That 06 dont sound cool at all!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99blackFRC
    No, you'd have to swap the crank reluctor. And it's a 58x wheel (60 teeth, 2 missing) on the newer stuff, not 48. We've done this swap, C5 though not GTO, because that's what the owner wanted. Personally I'd look at Katech or SDPC's offerings, etc if you're just looking for a 427..
    Ya sorry I Knew it was 58. I been pricing all around and Katechs look awsome,but short block started @ 7K and with GM selling LS7 complete with Intake Injectors Fuel rails Water Pump Clutch Balancer etc for $12200
    Shipped its hard to beat. I should be able to sell my LS2 for somthing with 8k mi on it and it would be complete. Any idea about Pan and Pump fitting? That sux having to pull crank!

Tuner
    These might help

Attachment 2630 Attachment 2631