Thread: New Build Throwing Codes

Tuner in Training

New Build Throwing Codes

Hello, new to this and need a bit of help. I am doing a turbo 4.8 in a truck. The motor is fresh and has a SS2 cam in it. Currently the turbo is not hooked up yet as I am still working on the plumbing. I loaded up a base speed density tune (3 bar Map on the P59 ECU, Deka 80s, SS2 cam, 7875). I know it doesn't have the turbo setup, but I figured idle with turbo or without is similar and should work?

It fires up nicely, but after about 30 seconds it throws P0106,P0107 and P1514 and completely dies. The 1514 table is maxed too. I am also having throttle issues with the DBW. If I hit the throttle quickly it throws code P1518 and also dies right away. The battery was very low and I had to boost it, so that could be the cause, but what else should I check? The truck ran and drove perfectly before freshening up the motor.

Likely have some things wrong tune wise, my main goal is to get it running roughly and take it to be properly dyno tuned.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Set all 3 MAF DTC"s to MIL on first error.

Did you touch any of the throttle body related tables?

Is the MAP data and injector data all correct for those injectors?

Drive by wire or drive by cable? I ask because it says in the systems options that it's a DBW and that it came from a GMT-610 chassis instead of the GMT-800 like the VIN says.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I will set them to that and see what happens. I didn't touch much myself, I used that tune as it had the same setup as mine. So the injectors and MAP data should be correct.

Its drive by wire.I noticed that too but I thought it wouldn't make a difference if the drive by wire had the "1" by it. The tune was for an 03 silverado, and mine is an 07 express. I am not sure those types of differences could be causing some problems.
    Last edited by Turbovan; 03-19-2021 at 12:23 AM.

I would not have flashed your computer with a 2003 truck file being that you had a 2007 express van. There are many differences in the TAC module and pedal assembly between those years.

You should have just copied data over that you wanted and not flashed a different tune over. I would revert back to the stock file and start over.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Good call. I didn?t really think about that, learning curve I guess.

So with this, what are the main tables I should leave alone? MAP setting and VE table, injector settings are the main ones to modify off the top of my head.

Tuner in Training
    One of the issues I noticed was the OS on my stock tune didn?t allow me to run a 3 bar MAP. There is only the option to change to a 2 bar. I am not sure the run around for this, but I don?t think the 2 bar will be sufficient for the boost capabilities I want.

You can run a 3 bar MAP sensor, it doesn't matter what linear and offset settings you run so long as they are correct for the MAP installed.

You will be limited to the 14-15psi on the VE table though, no way around that on the OS you have in the computer then. That doesn't mean you can't run more than that amount of boost, you just need to make sure the fueling is there at the last row of the VE table.

Those deka 80's will limit your boost anyway. I think you'll see that 500-600whp is a ton for a street tires.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, that makes sense. The settings are correct for the MAP sensor. I?ll just load up the 2 bar on the stock tune. I guess the ECU will just read up to 2 bars and top out?

That does seem kinda like a bandaid though... are there other ECUs to swap to? Or even change the TAC module? For 3 bar capability? Yeah the 80s will limit it a bit, will likely upgrade, but good for now.

Holley setup would be nice...

Tuner in Training
    So I changed around a few things and modified my stock tune. Its running a 2 BAR OS, I have a 3 BAR map installed, but the setting are correct so that shouldn't be a problem. No more throttle issues now communication wise, but oddly enough at full throttle it ready 160%...so not sure about that one. But getting a few codes still. The main ones are P0068 and P0106. I thought I had these ones set correctly, apparently not. Anything else I should change for this?

I have some weird things going on with the O2s and idle, but my main problem are the MAP codes coming up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is it like a EFI source 3 bar map?

Don't forget about the MIL on first error for the MAF codes.

Did you alter the P0121 stuff in the engine diag tab? I've never remember having to touch those.

Also it's real lean, you should probably add fuel to get those trims down or if the exhaust is open header that will do it as well.

Tuner in Training
    Yes it is a 3 bar from EFI source. Do they cause issues?

And right, I will adjust that.

I didnt alter the P0121 table at all, but it seems to me like I have to since it is throwing that code?

Yeah I noticed that, It is open header though so that doesnt help.