Thread: Need help with cam idling

Tuner in Training

Need help with cam idling

First time installing a camshaft
    98 T/A LS1 T56
    Just installed this camshaft and PAC 1816 valve springs. Car has headers too.
    I think I messed up my serial/USB harness but I know how to setup the next one when it arrives in the mail
    So I just have stock o2 sensors for now
    I attached the tune and some log file to this posting
    Can someone help edit this tune so my car will idle enough to go drive it. Thanks a lot
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    trying to stick that cam info photo here

Data log is missing engine rpm, injector pulse width avg for both banks, knock retard, commanded AFR or EQ ratio, cylinder airmass.

Your bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor is unplugged or not working entirely.

If the EGR is gone, turn that off in the exhaust tab and zero out the EGR spark adder table.

Past that it looks like it's running on it's own for the most part. Get that wideband working and pick the MAF or VE tables to start with. Both will be done in open loop without fuel trims and separate from each other. Each of certain settings to do for MAF only or VE only. And you will need to alter the open loop EQ ratio so that it stays at 1.00 at operating temps above 140 degrees.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    ^ Thanks 5FDP super excited to learn some tuning, have lots of projects to work on.

Got EGR turned off. Didn't see a EGR spark adder table yet but will keep an eye out for one

Is bank 2 the passenger side? I had some issues with which part of harness connected to the o2 sensors and will go in garage and check on them and log more

I will try my wideband o2 again but I think the harness got hacked to much but a new cable arrives here tomorrow or I'll try to fix the one I have

The missing engine RPM, injector pulse width av, knock retard and commanded AFR or EQ ratio and cylincer air mass seems like a lot of sensors not working and I'm curious why. I have all my connectors plugged back in except maybe o2. So how should I troubleshoot this? Is there a whole connector unplugged or plugged into the wrong place or damage to a connector or pigtail? (brainstorming here)
    Missing ground maybe??? (likely ATM, will start here)
    Oh I think there might be a ground missing from the cylinder heads after some reflection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mxhalofan; 01-31-2021 at 03:51 PM.

screenshot.31-01-2021 18.35.41.png

If only one sensor has a problem, it has to be something that only affects that one sensor. All 4 sensors share the same ground point and same +12v supply. Diagram shows no connectors between PCM & sensors except the 4-wire sensor pigtails.

Tuner in Training

You are missing those channels in the main channels list on the left, that is why things like engine rpm and knock retard are not showing up. Add them to the list and they will start to report. If you pick one of the default layouts at the top, it will populate most of that stuff and you can add what is missing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP thanks a lot, going to start there soon with the channels list
    And Blindsquirrel thanks for the info and diagram, wiring diagrams was going to be my next step until 5FDP mentioned my channel list

Tuner in Training
    Here's some new log data after adding channels to my list (Attached). Can someone look over this and help advise next steps? Thanks a lot

Trying to make progress each day. Working on new wideband harness now.

This car won't idle after it warms up so far (I set the idle to 900RPM, didn't work).

Will try 1000RPM idle tomorrow. TIA
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    instead of increasing RPM try increasing your idle airflow (base idle airflow in the airflow tab under idle). My cam liked nothing lower than 12 when I first started it after my cam swap