Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cranking Issue

I agree with you 100% about the timing. And what I have is a band aid fix. Would a stock timing curve be better and just refine the WOT timing? I don't have access to a dyno to tune the timing for peak hp and torque. The idle timing is good I think. The car doesn't surge at all. As for the VE being so spikey... I have never done any smoothing or interpolation whatsoever. Just copy and paste % error from my AFR error logging, so I'm only modifying the VE cells that I have data on. Probably why it's so spikey. Trying my best here to learn.
    Last edited by Jgarretts86; 02-08-2021 at 04:38 PM.

New cam sensor.... still not cranking any better.

Do you think it might be a good idea to follow some actual diagnostic strategy for the CMP issue? There are published documents for this kind of thing.

Please describe the parts in use. You say it's LS2-based... is the sensor in the front cover? Are you using an extension harness? Did you correct the pinout before installing the harness?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Do you think it might be a good idea to follow some actual diagnostic strategy for the CMP issue? There are published documents for this kind of thing.

Please describe the parts in use. You say it's LS2-based... is the sensor in the front cover? Are you using an extension harness? Did you correct the pinout before installing the harness?
    Sensor is in the front. I'm using a harness extension. All of which were working fine until the intake swap. Now I am getting a P0342 code for low curcuit. I will check the wiring again and check voltage at the sensor and the ecu.

It was working fine meaning you didn't have any reason to suspect there was a problem, or it was working fine meaning you verified valid CMP/CKP correlation counts?

If the extension harness is pinned A>A B>B and C>C it is wrong. The rear sensor and front sensor have A & C swapped. Pin B is lo ref for both. Look at the wiring diagrams.

VE table should look something like this
    latestve.png

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    It was working fine meaning you didn't have any reason to suspect there was a problem, or it was working fine meaning you verified valid CMP/CKP correlation counts?

If the extension harness is pinned A>A B>B and C>C it is wrong. The rear sensor and front sensor have A & C swapped. Pin B is lo ref for both. Look at the wiring diagrams.
    Meaning the car was cranking first try. I have the harness wires swapped already. It was running, cranking fine. I'll keep trying things. Thanks for the help.

Senior Tuner
    But now it's setting a code. Quit being so obtuse. Diagnose why it's setting a code.

PROBLEM FIXED! The extension wires were swapped around. I forgot that the extension harness plug that I have can be plugged in upside down to swap the A and C wires without repinning. I had it backwards. Thanks guys for the help. Now i'll work on smoothing that VE out.