Thread: How do i switch from a 08 Truck OS to a 2008 Corvette OS?

Tuner

How do i switch from a 08 Truck OS to a 2008 Corvette OS?

Going to Take Jon S. advice on Matching up my LS Conversion car parts, (Gas Pedal, Throttle body , ECM OS)

Right now i Have the 05-13 Corvette gas pedal installed , Truck Throttle body and 2008 Truck OS (12617631)

OK the easiest way to match all the parts would be to install a 2008 Truck Gas Pedal, Which i did buy and receive the other day , But there is no way its going to fit into my car, it swings way out towards the right and would never clear the tunnel, Also its made All of plastic and there is no way to modify it,

OK so Plan B (Jon S advice) is to install a sliver Blade Corvette Throttle Body to match the Vette gas pedal and upload a 2008 LS3 Corvette OS , I didn't think this could be done Because the 08 Vette uses a 6L80 and my car is a 4L65E And "Everyone" (all the LS conversion wire harness company's) Told me i have to use a "TRUCK OS" because it was the only system that ran a 58x and 4 speed transmission, (Makes Sense) But i guess because the 08 Trucks and 08 corvette uses the same 12617631 OS it would work??

The thing is i have No idea how to go about this, do i go buy another E38 out of a 08 LS3 Vette or can i upload the Vette platform into my current E38?

Advanced Tuner
    Using "matched" electronic throttle control (ETC) components will ensure that the ETC system is both safe, and functions consistently. As you know, the throttle body, APP (pedal), and ECM programming must all be mutually compatible.

In your specific case, your options are to use all Truck based components and programming, or to use all Corvette components and programming.

If the Corvette APP is mandatory for your specific vehicle interior, and you have the 2005 to 2008 Corvette throttle body (silver blade), then all that remains is the corresponding E38 ECM programming.

Initial E38 programming must be done using GM software and tools (Tech 2, MDI, etc.). You could have your existing E38 programmed, or you could purchase another E38 that has been preprogrammed as a 2008 Corvette.

As long as the E38 is VIN programmed with a 2008 Corvette LS3 6L80 calibration, it will communicate with your 2008 Truck T42 4L65 calibration.

This will achieve proper (safe and reliable) ETC system functionality, and pave the way for project specific tuning of both your ECM and TCM - by a local tuning facility, or yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
    Using "matched" electronic throttle control (ETC) components will ensure that the ETC system is both safe, and functions consistently. As you know, the throttle body, APP (pedal), and ECM programming must all be mutually compatible.

In your specific case, your options are to use all Truck based components and programming, or to use all Corvette components and programming.

If the Corvette APP is mandatory for your specific vehicle interior, and you have the 2005 to 2008 Corvette throttle body (silver blade), then all that remains is the corresponding E38 ECM programming.

Initial E38 programming must be done using GM software and tools (Tech 2, MDI, etc.). You could have your existing E38 programmed, or you could purchase another E38 that has been preprogrammed as a 2008 Corvette.

As long as the E38 is VIN programmed with a 2008 Corvette LS3 6L80 calibration, it will communicate with your 2008 Truck T42 4L65 calibration.

This will achieve proper (safe and reliable) ETC system functionality, and pave the way for project specific tuning of both your ECM and TCM - by a local tuning facility, or yourself.

Hey Jon , Thank you very much for the reply, i tried Private messaging you a few times, OK Two things i dont have that LS2/3 silver blade Throttle body anymore So i need to get one, No one has it new, but the STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS S20002 TechSmart Throttle Body that replaces the GM {12570790} is avaible. Do you know anything about the one made by Standard? it looks exactly the same as the original GM piece Maybe even Standard made the throttle body for them. Or i can buy a used one from a 08 C6 on E-bay , there going for $300+ , Crazy!

OK and i dont have access to GM software like you mentioned , So would it be easier to just pick up a E38 ECM from a wrecked 2008 LS3 (6L80) Corvette?
    Walter

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Ttype View Post
    ... Jon would it be better or is there a advantage to switching over to all Corvette equipment for a 58X conversion? (APP~gas pedal, Throttle Body "silver blade" and a 2008 LS3 Corvette OS 12617631)
    For example i have The Vette gas But everything else it "Truck" (Truck throttle body and 2008 Truck E38 + OS "12617631", in my case its cheaper and easier to just get the Truck gas pedal installed to match all the rest of the parts, But would there be a advantage to switching over to all Corvette components ...

In your specific circumstances, with your specific project, you could use either all 2008 Truck components and E38 programming, or all 2008 Corvette components and E38 programming.

If memory serves you preferred the Corvette APP (pedal), which seemed to have led your decision making process.

In your specific case, there is no performance advantage (or benefit) to either platform - as long as all components are matched correctly - either platform will work equally well. I feel like I have made this statement, in various wordings, several times now. You need to decide whether to use all 2008 Truck, or all 2008 Corvette, components and E38 programming - it is as simple as that.

Truck components tend to be more readily available, and less expensive. The only difficulty for some people is mounting the Truck APP (pedal) in a conversion vehicle - as it will require a hand fabricated mount / pedestal to address its peculiar shape.

Also - I don't often answer PMs, and any PM discussion that starts to go around in circles, I simply exit.

Tuner
    In your specific circumstances, with your specific project, you could use either all 2008 Truck components and E38 programming, or all 2008 Corvette components and E38 programming.

If memory serves you preferred the Corvette APP (pedal), which seemed to have led your decision making process.

In your specific case, there is no performance advantage (or benefit) to either platform - as long as all components are matched correctly - either platform will work equally well. I feel like I have made this statement, in various wordings, several times now. You need to decide whether to use all 2008 Truck, or all 2008 Corvette, components and E38 programming - it is as simple as that.

Truck components tend to be more readily available, and less expensive. The only difficulty for some people is mounting the Truck APP (pedal) in a conversion vehicle - as it will require a hand fabricated mount / pedestal to address its peculiar shape.

Also - I don't often answer PMs, and any PM discussion that starts to go around in circles, I simply exit.
    OK Jon , so either one will work good as long as the parts all match up, That's simple enough, Yes the Truck Gas pedal is definitely a problem and im working on the now, I am working on converting a G8 Pedal with Truck electronics , As far as going in circles i dont think that was the case, In Fact i think i asked some Dam good questions, and figured a lot of technical stuff out , I think i did a dame good job in fact!!
    But if all this BS doesnt work Im going Holley Dominator
    Happy New Year

IIRC the pinouts are different from the truck and C6 pedals.

Either way as far as ECM goes you first must be certain the VIN/OS you are going to use is compatible with your E38 hardware. Then the only option is to flash it into the ECM with GM SPS and a MDI2 or compatible cable.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Ttype View Post
    OK Jon , so either one will work good as long as the parts all match up, That's simple enough, Yes the Truck Gas pedal is definitely a problem and im working on the now, I am working on converting a G8 Pedal with Truck electronics , As far as going in circles i dont think that was the case, In Fact i think i asked some Dam good questions, and figured a lot of technical stuff out , I think i did a dame good job in fact!!
    But if all this BS doesnt work Im going Holley Dominator
    Happy New Year

To date I have answered 3 of your PMs, and you have sent me 7 PMs in total.

To date I have posted 8 replies to your Forum thread questions on this project.

I always attempt to point people in the right direction, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to hold their hand throughout a project.

My message has never changed - the best course of action for your specific project is to use either all 2008 Truck, or all 2008 Corvette, components and programming.

Here you are congratulating yourself, while simultaneously embarking on yet another tangent.

Now you have somehow decided to use a G8 APP (pedal) - or a "Frankensteined" mix of G8 and Truck APP components.

I am stepping off of this merry-go-round, as I am weary of saying the same things over and over again.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    IIRC the pinouts are different from the truck and C6 pedals.

Either way as far as ECM goes you first must be certain the VIN/OS you are going to use is compatible with your E38 hardware. Then the only option is to flash it into the ECM with GM SPS and a MDI2 or compatible cable.
    Hello James,
    From what i know my E38 came from a 2008, 4.8L truck (GMC Sierra 1/2 ton Work Truck) , To compare i downloaded a stock Tune file off the Repository (2008 , 4.8 truck) and it has the same (12617631) OS and (24239927) under hardware for the TCM as mine , My Vin # is 1GTEC14C28Z900107, I also downloaded a 5.3 and 6.0L 2008 "Truck" tune files off the Repository and the same OS numbers for the ECM and TCM match mine,

James would you say i have the right components?
    Thank you for your help
    Walter

Tuner
    To date I have answered 3 of your PMs, and you have sent me 7 PMs in total.

To date I have posted 8 replies to your Forum thread questions on this project.

I always attempt to point people in the right direction, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to hold their hand throughout a project.

My message has never changed - the best course of action for your specific project is to use either all 2008 Truck, or all 2008 Corvette, components and programming.

Here you are congratulating yourself, while simultaneously embarking on yet another tangent.

Now you have somehow decided to use a G8 APP (pedal) - or a "Frankensteined" mix of G8 and Truck APP components.

I am stepping off of this merry-go-round, as I am weary of saying the same things over and over again.

Yo Jon Relax man, your getting to sensitive for me, Big deal i messaged you , asking questions and receiving answers isnt what this board is all about , NO??
    So if you dont have time just dont answer, but it seems that your on here a lot & I DO REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP, Yes i did congratulated myself, this has been a 7 year project and two different tuners, 2 ECM's 2 wire harnesses later and a boat load of money and i finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, ALL the "Experts" arent fixing my car I AM! Yes you explained it Very Very well!!!, My problem was why the hell didn't these other two guys and 3 different Wire harness companies Not know this, One i wont mention his name is still arguing that he has "thousands" of his wire harnesses in LS conversion cars running the Corvette gas pedal with a truck throttle body , anyway it makes 100% sense to me to match up the parts,

The reason to try the G8 pedal is because there is no way in hell that big Duffy truck pedal that curves toward the tunnel is going to fit, So i looked at all the GM DBW pedals and the G8 pedal is straight with the foot pad angled away from the tunnel , OK so that one would fit, second its very similar in design compared to the Truck pedal (made all from plastic) also the pivot point looks exactly the same, The double tension spring & seat cup etc is also exactly the same, Ok the difference is the covers that houses the resister and the receiver plug socket, But the main pedal housing has the same screw pattern , so by swapping the Tuck resister cover onto the G8 housing should give me a G8 pedal with Truck electronics, so i will have a pedal body that will fit in my car with Truck electronics that will match my OS and throttle body.