Thread: Wideband Oscillation Voltage

Tuner in Training

Wideband Oscillation Voltage

Currently working on tuning a 97 Tahoe with a HT383E and a 411. I finally bought a wideband (Innovate 3918) to put in the truck, installed it in place of the DS o2 for the time being until I can get a bung welded in, tapped into the fuse box by the door for WB power, and grounded to the metal dash support. I am having a problem with the wideband voltage oscillating pretty drastically when reading into HPTs. If WB gauge is at 14.7 it will read ~13-17 on the analog out, but seems to average out normally to make proper adjustments. The gauge itself is consistent. I found one article mentioning that the input voltage is the issue due to the analog out being relying on a constant input on a constant input but I don't have any issue like this in my other vehicle with a Glowshift WB. I'm looking for some solutions for fix this or what may be causing this issue. Not sure if it's me, or something wrong with the WB I bought, or if this is normal (which I don't think it is).

Are you using MPVI (1) OR MPVI (2)
    Not sure it makes much difference... I know ground loops are a big concern, everyone recommends using one ground point for everything (sensor, WB, interface connection)...

If you still have issues there are ways to create an offset (transform) your wideband to compensate for bad grounds and harness noise
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Are you using MPVI (1) OR MPVI (2)
    Not sure it makes much difference... I know ground loops are a big concern, everyone recommends using one ground point for everything (sensor, WB, interface connection)...

If you still have issues there are ways to create an offset (transform) your wideband to compensate for bad grounds and harness noise
    It's the MPVI 1. I added a small capacitor on the gauge input as well as between the ground and the gauge analog out on the MPVI. This helped a bit (mainly the one on the analog out side) but didn't solve it completely. It just looks like I lot of electrical noise in a log so I'm going to just run a wire straight from the battery and see if this solves it.

Senior Tuner
    the wideband ground or signal ground must also go to the same scanner analogue input ground or it can cause issues, if u ground it to the dash and only have the signal going to hpt it will cause issues