Thread: happy medium between stoich & lean & stepping on it while tuning the VE table

Tuner in Training

happy medium between stoich & lean & stepping on it while tuning the VE table

Good afternoon fellas,

I've gotten the VE table more or less around stoich. I've done long boring drives feathering the pedal hitting as many cells as I've been able to. I've been doing slow accelerations and going as fast as I can without attacking unwanted attention from gentlemen doing their duties. So here is my issue. I can get the table around 1.0( lambda) +/- 2%. But then I go back into the city and as I have to hit the gas in traffic, I can see my gauge leaning out around 5 percent. So do I shoot for stoich or rich it up a bit and then run rich on the highway? On a Daily driver what would you guys consider rich? From what I've gathered around the internets... It's better to run stoich and possibly a little lean than having a bunch of un burned fuel hitting the cats for long drives. I would kindly appreciate any inputs, suggestions or opinions you gents might have.

Just one more piece of info. I plan to set the software back to it's normal settings with everything running and adjusting the calculations. Am I going down a rabbit hole or I should just let the factory software handle it after I get the VE table close?

TIA!

Try making some adjustments to transient fueling. Also post a log if you have one.

Tuner in Training
    Here is a tune from Sat. Getting there , just need to fix a couple of spots. I've tried to keep it simple and not trying to tweak a bunch of stuff - trying to play it safe.
    You're also seeing readings with the throttle response greater than 2% to eliminate possible bad data.
    Attached Files Attached Files

You're getting a pretty concerning amount of KR in that log. I would try to set your PE to be MAP based and set it at 70-75 KPA, and bring down your TPS threshold to 5 or so. If that gets rid of your KR, tweak from there.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick912 View Post
    You're getting a pretty concerning amount of KR in that log. I would try to set your PE to be MAP based and set it at 70-75 KPA, and bring down your TPS threshold to 5 or so. If that gets rid of your KR, tweak from there.
    thank you for the help.

None of that knock is under any real load though, it's not harming anything. If he sets the PE enable settings too low he will be dipping in and out of enrichment just merging into traffic or pulling away from a stop light quickly. That's just wasted fuel.

Look at pretty much any stock truck log from a 5.3/6.0 from 2007-2014 when they run 87 octane, they show knock like it's their day job. It's built into the calibration to knock.

You have no choice but to aim for stoich outside of power enrichment. You can't aim for leaner or richer than stoich at cruising speeds because the second you put it back into closed loop the fuel trims are going to auto correct it back to stoich anyway. Get it as close as you can with the virtual VE stuff and call it a day. Being close is way better than being way out in left field with fueling. If he MAF curve is real close as well everything should be good to go with the fuel trims having to do minimal work to keep it around stoich during normal driving.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.