Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Performance Mode Switch Option

Advanced Tuner
    Has anyone tried changing it to "Two Switch" and grounding pin J1-31 for "Manual Mode"?

Tuner in Training custosonlinux's Avatar
    And how could you control the manual shifts?
    There are no paddles or buttons ...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by custosonlinux View Post
    And how could you control the manual shifts?
    There are no paddles or buttons ...
    I'm guessing more of a hold it in the gear the shifter is in mode.

Tuner in Training custosonlinux's Avatar
    This is possible if you use the right settings and values for the performance mode tables.
    I'm using this feature in my car. (just one switch for performance mode)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by custosonlinux View Post
    This is possible if you use the right settings and values for the performance mode tables.
    I'm using this feature in my car. (just one switch for performance mode)
    What settings did you use?

Senior Tuner
    The calibration will not be able to hold the gear in the position of the selector, especially in F-Bodies. The ECM does not know where the gear selector is, so it would never know if it is in Drive or 1st gear. What you are asking for is a Manual Valve body, that will do what you want, but it will completely elliminate the automatic functions.

Advanced Tuner

Advanced Tuner
    TTT,

EFILive has the following tables:
    {D0913} Manual Hold Gear, 1st, 1->2 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0914} Manual Hold Gear, 2nd, 1->2 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0918} Manual Hold Gear, 1st, 2->3 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0919} Manual Hold Gear, 2nd, 2->3 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0928} Manual Downshift 2->1 Shift Speed 49.000000 MPH
    {D0933} Manual Downshift Gear 3->2 Shift Speeds 85.000000 MPH

These are single values, not tables.

If the vehicle speed is below this value then the PCM will allow a manual downshift to 2nd gear from any higher gear.
    Early programs used TPS as a reference, later programs use a single value.

Any chance we can get these tables?

Quote Originally Posted by slow67 View Post
    TTT,

EFILive has the following tables:
    {D0913} Manual Hold Gear, 1st, 1->2 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0914} Manual Hold Gear, 2nd, 1->2 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0918} Manual Hold Gear, 1st, 2->3 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0919} Manual Hold Gear, 2nd, 2->3 Shift Speeds 255.000000 MPH
    {D0928} Manual Downshift 2->1 Shift Speed 49.000000 MPH
    {D0933} Manual Downshift Gear 3->2 Shift Speeds 85.000000 MPH

These are single values, not tables.

If the vehicle speed is below this value then the PCM will allow a manual downshift to 2nd gear from any higher gear.
    Early programs used TPS as a reference, later programs use a single value.

Any chance we can get these tables?
    Boy, I'd like to have that!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    The calibration will not be able to hold the gear in the position of the selector, especially in F-Bodies. The ECM does not know where the gear selector is, so it would never know if it is in Drive or 1st gear. What you are asking for is a Manual Valve body, that will do what you want, but it will completely elliminate the automatic functions.
    BTW yes the PCM knows....it knows via the Pressure switch located inside the transmission. Otherwise how does it know which gear I am when I log the PRNDL status? it correctly displays Park, Reverse, D4, D3, D2, and D1. It counts neutral as park also.

The part that confuses me about this, though, is how do TransGo kits have the option to have manual shifts @ any speed? I installed mine, and only thing I didnt do was block off the actuator screen bore. Not sure if thats related but I'm still definitely limited to my speeds. For example a 3-2 downshift wont engage until under 80mph, and a 2-1 until under 45. Not complaining about that, but there are times when I'm in manual first and it will forcably upshift into manual 2nd with the lever still in 1st. (and will chirp the tires above 3Krpm due to it shifting with bands, releasing the rear band and engaging the front) [a 4l80]

...how does it know which gear I am when I log the PRNDL status? it correctly displays Park, Reverse, D4, D3, D2, and D1. It counts neutral as park also.
    Neutral safety switch feedback, FTW!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266 View Post
    Neutral safety switch feedback, FTW!
    I don't have one of those on my 4L80....none of the F bodies do....

I don't have one of those on my 4L80....none of the F bodies do....
    For real? So you can just like pull the shifter from park to any other gear without pressing the brake?

EDIT: Just realized you said 80, too btw :-P

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266 View Post
    For real? So you can just like pull the shifter from park to any other gear without pressing the brake?

EDIT: Just realized you said 80, too btw :-P
    My car was a 6 speed, so the only Neutral Safety switch has 12V passing through it and was hooked to the clutch. Yes, F bodies never came with 80s either

The only sensor on F bodies was the Park/Neutral Position switch. Just grounds when the shifter is in park or neutral. Mine isn't hooked up either.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS View Post
    It calculates what gear you are in based on input and output shaft speeds. As I said, the ECM doesn't know what gear the shifter is in. It only controls the line pressure, shift solenoids, and TCC while monitoring fluid temp and shift times.
    It knows what position the shifter is in, even sitting still in my driveway. When logging PRNDL status, it shows D4, D3, D2, and D1 in the corresponding position of the shifter. (as long as the engine is running).

Yes, the pcm knows the position of the gear selector in an f-body, and yes you can set performance mode up to work like a manual valve body. Pretty sure it gets its position from pins N, P, and R in the trans connector. But its not usefull in racing because there is usually a pretty good delay in the shift taking place from the time the shifter is moved.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat View Post
    Yes, the pcm knows the position of the gear selector in an f-body, and yes you can set performance mode up to work like a manual valve body. Pretty sure it gets its position from pins N, P, and R in the trans connector. But its not usefull in racing because there is usually a pretty good delay in the shift taking place from the time the shifter is moved.
    I would use it more in a burnout situation. Since a 4L80E is a very close cousin to the Th400, you have to be careful. Basically do most of your burnout in 3rd, not 2nd.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecat View Post
    Mine has almost no delay (4L80E) as I have tried it before. In fact, it is quick enough that the converter doesn't have time to unlock when I go from 3->4 and my lockup conditions are met at part throttle.

As far as a LED light why don't you just get a ratcheting relay, when you press the momentary button it hits the relay and latches it in the on position, and then when you hit the button again it turns it off. Seems like a simple option.

Like this one.. http://www.altronix.com/p_pdf/RBR1224.pdf