Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Loop Maf Tuning

The only thing to add from my original open loop Maf tuning is to check the LTFT's after installing the stock O2 sensor.

I set up a STFT+LTFT pid & insert this pid into the Maf Hz histogram. Then you can fine tune the fuel trims (up to ~7500 Hz), as the evap purge will be causing negative fuel trims. This is because in open loop, the evap purge valve stays closed.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Russ, what the PE tables when this scaling is finished. Do I set those tables back to original or leave them as you have them set????
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

Read my first post about the PE tables again.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Read my first post about the PE tables again.

Russ Kemp
    So, lets see. The PE enable>delay vs. tps = zero out. The PE enable tps>hot = where I want it, like 45%. The base afr vs. ect to 11.75 since I'm boosted. Zero out the add vs. rpm table.
    Thats the combination of part throttle AFR and WOT AFR settings if I'm reading your write up. I did both these and now will hook my nb back up and see what I get.
    These tables will remain as stated above EVEN AFTER tuning, I do not need to put any of these back to original, correct?
    Thanks for the info Russ, you da man!!!!!
    2000 GTP- S2X, diamond forged 9.5:1, balanced, Lucas 42.5#, GenV w/N*, stage 3 heads, custom PCM, ZZP SS IC, TOGS, MPS 3.0, Intensified 3.69's tranny - low 12's!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 00GTP
    These tables will remain as stated above EVEN AFTER tuning, I do not need to put any of these back to original, correct?
    You got it!

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Russ, I can't thank you enough for this write up!! It helped me learn to use my WB to its full potential.
    2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

Tuner
    I'm having trouble with the MAF - AFR Error Air Fuel Ratio Error (%) hist.
    The hist was good until I hit the start scanning button, then it went back to the default "its not a support parm" comment.

Any help would be appreciated.
    besides that I get it... and it looks good.

Thanks,
    Last edited by PDXGTP; 03-03-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Senior Tuner
    Are you logging in "Table View" as well? The supported PID's need to be added to your table view for it to work in ANY tables.
    For example: If your table is not scanning for delivered trans torque, then if you add it to the histo or the chart view, it will not work.

Tuner
    Ahh, you mean the thing called table (primary)?
    I added it to that, now I'll hook up to the car and see if she works.Thanks,,
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Tuner
    Russ,
    When tuning the part throttle range of the MAF, how many iterations is typical to get the AFR close to 14.7 before moving on to PE Tuning? Assuming a good 1 hour session with multiple speeds and ranges.
    Thanks!
    2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

I spend ~ 1 minute scanning the part throttle AFR, then copy the AFR % error histogram to the editor.
    Then I repeat one more time, then for the 3rd tune, just multiply by half. Then do the WOT fueling.

Then install the stock O2 sensor & fine tune the fuel trims.

Russ Kemp

A WBO2 isn't rated for the heat of a pre-turbo location, can I just swap the leads from the preturbo NBO2 to the post turbo WBO2 for tuning?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    Experimental Physicist

Current:
    1964 Riviera (4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 PCM)
    2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan (3.8 GDI, 8spd Aisin)
    1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 (454, 4L80E)
    SOLD:
    1970 Riviera
    1965 Riviera GS (465 Super Wildcat, SP400) #'s Matching
    1967 Skylark Deluxe
    1997.5 Regal GS

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CTX-SLPR
    A WBO2 isn't rated for the heat of a pre-turbo location, can I just swap the leads from the preturbo NBO2 to the post turbo WBO2 for tuning?

Thanks,

I would get yourself a Heatsink for your WB.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know if it's lack of knowledge or what, but I think I'm doing something wrong. During part throttle scanning is the WB suppose to reading what the commanded is? I have a number of scans and logs I will post. Another thing when I go into the scanner to look at the log it does not show the actual WB afr in the chart?

MAF Start Tuning is the config I started with.
    The scan is MAF Start Tuning 030508 1256
    I corrected it the this .hpl file MAF Start Tuning (1)
    The scan for this one is MAF Start Tuning 030508 1540
    I corrected it the this .hpl file MAF Start Tuning (2)
    The scan for this one is MAF Start Tuning 030508 1633
    I corrected it the this .hpl file MAF Start Tuning (3) - This one I have not flashed the PCM with yet.

Can someone give me some ideas and thoughts?

More files in next post.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST
    Custom PCM, Ram Air Hood w/ Air box, Intense MPS w/3.6", R/T DP with Ubend delete & HF CAT, LC-1 WB, GMPP Cat Back, Jacobs wires, 180 T-stat, & an Optima Red Top

Advanced Tuner
    More files.
    Last edited by mtcrusan; 03-05-2008 at 04:00 PM.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Why do you have 2 wideband AFR pids in the table view? The chart & histograms will then average the 2. Some scans are in open loop, some are in closed loop. You must disable closed loop when tuning with a wideband.

The wideband AFR displays in the chart & histogram view when I look at it. You probably don't have your chart set up to display
    the wideband as a sensor.

Yes, the actual AFR needs to match the commanded at part throttle as well as WOT. I would disable the EGR valve as well.
    Posting so many scans & tunes is too hard to follow. Just post one tune & the scan log from it.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 03-05-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry for the confusion. 2 WB in the table is because one was the offset voltage PID. I realized that if you close out the window to turn off closed loop it automaticly turns on for default. I will flash number 3 since the last 2 were in open loop and deleted the other wb in table view. Russ I appreciate your help.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Don't use the VCM controls to disable closed loop. Unplug the front O2 sensor, or set the closed loop
    enable to a real high temp in the editor to disable closed loop.

Russ Kemp

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Russ. I will let you know it goes later this afternoon.
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST

Advanced Tuner
    The .cfg is the latest I used as per Russ's reccomendations. The .hpl is the scan after flashing the .cfg. I should be resetting the fuel trims each time? TIA!
    Mitchell

'04 Supercharged MC SS

MOD LIST