Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake bleed/purge program

Here's why I don't see this as a liability beyond the current capabilities of HP Tuners.

The ABS bleed feature is built into the vehicle. HP tuners just needs to send a command to the module, just like when you use a Tech II to bleed. The bleed feature is a required feature by GM and whoever has the contract for ABS system (Bosch, TRW, Continental) has to include that feature so air can be removed from the module after servicing the brake system. No "hacking" is required, the software just has to send the same signal that a tech 2 or other bleed tool would. HP tuners doesn't need to activate the valves in the HCU, just send the command to the HECU and let the factory code in the HECU do its thing.
    I used to work for TRW Automotive, the bleed capability is an OEM feature.

The question I'm wondering is if HP Tuners feels this feature is "value added" enough to dedicate the time to add to the scanner. Personally, I hope they do.
    Last edited by VodeAn; 07-25-2014 at 06:30 AM.

bump for ABS code support

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by VodeAn View Post
    Here's why I don't see this as a liability beyond the current capabilities of HP Tuners.

The ABS bleed feature is built into the vehicle. HP tuners just needs to send a command to the module, just like when you use a Tech II to bleed. The bleed feature is a required feature by GM and whoever has the contract for ABS system (Bosch, TRW, Continental) has to include that feature so air can be removed from the module after servicing the brake system. No "hacking" is required, the software just has to send the same signal that a tech 2 or other bleed tool would. HP tuners doesn't need to activate the valves in the HCU, just send the command to the HECU and let the factory code in the HECU do its thing.
    I used to work for TRW Automotive, the bleed capability is an OEM feature.

The question I'm wondering is if HP Tuners feels this feature is "value added" enough to dedicate the time to add to the scanner. Personally, I hope they do.
    Well stated. There's other high-end tech tools on the market that support this feature (Bosch GM MDI comes to mind). I don't want to spend $1700 to just trigger a factory firmware feature. I think HPT sees this is a total throwaway but the amount of business they would pull in from the enthusiast community just to have a tool that finally triggers that for a fraction of the "pro" tech tools...

I doubt Bosch is getting sued by anyone. Hell, I'd even sign a waiver of liability for this.

I keep waiting year after year to see if HPT will take the time...

Why not just buy a TechII? I would love to have the options but honestly this tool is for tuning engine and transmissions not a general service tool. For that type stuff talk to Snap On for a nice diagnostics tool or get a TechII.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Advanced Tuner
    I want this too
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    Why not just buy a TechII? I would love to have the options but honestly this tool is for tuning engine and transmissions not a general service tool. For that type stuff talk to Snap On for a nice diagnostics tool or get a TechII.
    We already have hp tuners why not use it to the max.
    06 Grand Prix GXP, LS4-full bolt ons, Tuned by me

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GXPLS4 View Post
    We already have hp tuners why not use it to the max.
    Agreed. This would instantly make the HPT tool that much more valuable for such a simple addition.

Potential Tuner
    VodeAn well here in 2024 and it appears the ABS bleed is not important enough to HP Tuners to add it to their features which, as you stated, would have helped boost sales and been "value added"
    OH well, as long as the write feature works for tuning......lol