Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake bleed/purge program

Potential Tuner

Brake bleed/purge program

Currently it requires that you have a Tech II to bleed or purge the ABS system on a newer GM car. You can bleed the brakes, but you may miss air that is trapped in the ABS module unless you have access to use the Tech II program to activate the ABS module causing it to run for a few seconds.

Any chance of getting this activation built into HPTuners?

Bump for a good request.

All though there is very little info on this, It is possable to to bleed the module by cycling the key on and off just as you would do if you were manualy bleeding.

First try to bleed the brakes by turning the key on engine off, after 10 seconds have a assistant open the bleeder then close. Wait 10 seconds and repeat on all 4 wheels. 90% if the time this will work, But you may have to repeat. This time push the pedal down then turn the key on engine off. Have your assistant open the bleeder and repeat on all 4 wheels, Then follow with convetional bleeding.

Little hard to explain I guess, But never had one I could not bleed even after replacing the EBCM. Aslo no need to pump the pedal, its a waste of energy... just a simple down, open, close and repeat.

It's been asked before, and the answer given was that it was a bit too much of a liability to allow access to the ABS module. I'm sure that's probably where they still stand on the issue.
    2008 Viper - now with HPToona - 1/4 Mile Shenanigans Here
    11.02 @ 130

Potential Tuner
    bumping this request again. You are not disabling ABS or harming it in any other way. It is merely being run, causing it to cycle so air can be removed from the valves.

Potential Tuner
    Did this ever get added?

I hope this can be added, It's very useful

I can almost guarantee you that it won't ever be added. Why would they want the liability of people screwing around with the ABS cals?

Nothing different then screwing around with emissions reporting and engine fueling. People who use this program are big boys who payed big money to access features like this. The program already has plenty of use at your own risk disclaimers. Those who will ruin their ABS systems will just as easily blow their motor if they dont know what they are doing.

This would be a great addition.
    -SOLD- 1999 Pewter Metallic Camaro SS. LS1/M6. True Dual Full Exhaust/LS7 clutch/MGW/Lid/Poly/Self tune.
    -SOLD- 2006 Quicksilver Metallic GTO. LS2/A4. Cam/Exhaust/Stall. 11.74@116, 1.61 60ft +2,000 DA
    -SOLD- 2013 Arctic White Corvette LS3/M6. Stock. 12.5 @ 116, 2.01 60ft +2,000 DA

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolAid View Post
    Nothing different then screwing around with emissions reporting and engine fueling. People who use this program are big boys who payed big money to access features like this. The program already has plenty of use at your own risk disclaimers. Those who will ruin their ABS systems will just as easily blow their motor if they dont know what they are doing.

This would be a great addition.
    Well said

bump
    -SOLD- 1999 Pewter Metallic Camaro SS. LS1/M6. True Dual Full Exhaust/LS7 clutch/MGW/Lid/Poly/Self tune.
    -SOLD- 2006 Quicksilver Metallic GTO. LS2/A4. Cam/Exhaust/Stall. 11.74@116, 1.61 60ft +2,000 DA
    -SOLD- 2013 Arctic White Corvette LS3/M6. Stock. 12.5 @ 116, 2.01 60ft +2,000 DA

I understand why they don't have this feature...
    Last edited by LSxpwrdZ; 09-27-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

You guys are crazy. If I was HPTuner's I wouldn't touch the ABS system with a ten foot pole.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

i would like the diag portion to at least read ABS codes

384whp/303wtq
    Built 2.0LSJ: TVS w/2.6, 1000cc, Stage 2 cams, custom fuel system, E85, Dual Pass, 3"intake, 3" Catless exhaust, CIA midlength Header

one button with self purging automated procedure will not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by muayyadf1 View Post
    one button with self purging automated procedure will not hurt.
    Seriously. All we need is a simple valve actuation to people can purge air from the system. Taking the vehicle to a stearlership for a simple ******* brake bleed is ridiculous.

Rather than waiting for it to rain, then slamming the brakes to actuate the valves it would be nice to be able to pump them with HPT. They dont have to give us access to anything that would cause people to die bleed and sue. Maybe the feature would only work key on with engine OFF so that you cant drive down the road and press the button and then bleed die and sue.

Tuner in Training
    After complaining about the brakes on my GMC truck for 40,000 miles a Snap On man told me to cycle the ABS while bleeding the brakes, it was like night and day (I of course had to pay someone with a Tech II to do it) This is a great idea, be fantastic to have a button just to actuate the pump for 15 seconds, nothing more. The tech that did it for me now does it on every car he bleeds the brakes on.

Tuner in Training
    why not simply connect power to the pumps inputs and run it directly off the battery or a charger?

Potential Tuner
    Another request for a ABS purge Button Please.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TY2185 View Post
    Another request for a ABS purge Button Please.
    Locking up the brakes high speed on a dirt road works too if you need it done soon.

I've not used my tuner for a few years, my twin turbo vette has been running like a champ still after 40k miles. But I am doing a brake job and need to purge the ABS system, please add this feature to HPTuners.....

It can't be a liability question, why do we not have this?
    (oo corvette oo) with a bolt on...