-Mike
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires

Tuner in Training

Re: EEC-V Calibration Memory Structure

Screamn03, that did help. I've been there a bunch of times, but never noticed the J3 adapter schematic that listed the J3 pins and lines. That helps a bunch! I've got an ECU (off of an old Cougar, not what I really wanted, but it'll work) rounded up, just need to put it on the logic analyzer and get some stuff figured out. Paul Booth offers his EEC Editor software for free (not for long though). http://home.comcast.net/~booth.p/

If you want the software to work, you'll need to register the software through Paul. Be very polite in your email, and I'm sure he'll have no problem getting you the registration key.

Still trying to figure out the differences in the J3 between the EEC-IV and EEC-Vs.

Here's a link to the stock tune from my predator:
    http://hometown.aol.com/tranzam777/StockYDH1.frg
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

So, Screamn03, from your Predator tune, your EEC-V is code YDH1?

Can I download the Predator software to view your file from somewhere?

A little off topic, so the new 03/04 Cobras have shiftlights?

So, Screamn03, from your Predator tune, your EEC-V is code YDH1?

Can I download the Predator software to view your file from somewhere?

A little off topic, so the new 03/04 Cobras have shiftlights?
    Yes, that's correct, my EEC-V code is YDH1.

The only thing I believe that will reconize that file is the Predator and the "Chipmaster Revolution" software from Diablo which is a tuning package for dealers. I posted it just in case someone was good at hacking stuff but it sounds like from what twinturbo was saying that it would be very difficult. I believe my computer reconizes it as an "access fragment". I posted it in case anyone wanted to play with it.

The 03/04 Cobras have a shift lift in the dash for recommended upshifts for best fuel economy. Some tuning softwares can edit it and make it turn on at a user determined point, like lets say 6300RPM. The Predator has this feature in the OS but it doesn't work, there's some error that will be addressed on the next update I guess, when ever that comes out ???.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

The SCT software has access to the upshift light and it does work, I used it in 03 on a friend's Cobra YDH1 code.

You may want to consider upgrading to the AMZ1 callibration that SCT provides to its 03-04 Cobra customers as I hear that it works better than the other callibrations such as RA4Z, QUD2,YDH1. How and why it works better I do not know but Ford made some changes.

w.

Tuner in Training

Screamn03, do you have software to transfer the file from your computer to the Predator? If it's freeware, can you let me know where to find a copy?

Sorry to waste time about the shiftlight, I just though that was cool. ;D

I'll soon be in need of an EEC-V ECU out of a 1999 or newer Ford V8 car, Mustang preferred. Any ideas where I can find one cheap? I tried Ebay and our local scrapyard wants a kidney. I'm going to analyze and old EEC-IV and then analyze an EEC-V to figure out the J3 differences. Unless anyone already knows? Any J3 experts out there? (echo...echo...echo)

This would be the "PC Interface" from Diablo.

right-click->save as
    http://www.diablosport.com/downloads...erface_100.exe

You're not wasting my time bro, don't worry .

I've been looking for a computer also, I'll let you know if I find a good source.

I'll also be getting the computer flashed from Ford to the most current update next week.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

Screamn03, I downloaded that Predator software. So basically, it's just a utility for sending files to/from the Predator handheld tuner? That's cool though. You may want to consider Port monitoring software so you can see what goes on between your PC and Predator during file transfers. You may learn some interesting things.

I'm gonna try getting some help from Craig Moates on this J3 thing. Darn EEC-Vs.

I found out today that the current update for my car is HSF0. AMZ1 is for '04 Cobras.

So basically, it's just a utility for sending files to/from the Predator handheld tuner?
    Yep, that's it.

You may want to consider Port monitoring software so you can see what goes on between your PC and Predator during file transfers. You may learn some interesting things.
    To monitor the serial port on my computer? Cool, I'll give it a try, do you have any suggestions as far as a good program?

On another note, my friend just picked up a '94GT with a 331 AFR headed motor. It's already tuned somewhat but I'm gonna have to start working on getting something for this. I wish Paul would email me back. Did he ever email you?
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

Screamn03, try this:
    http://www.kmint21.com/serial-port-monitor/

Try www.moates.net for your friend's 94GT. I had one of them, a 5-speed. Thats a good Mustang, full of potential. So Paul never gave you a key for his software? With Paul's software, you'll still need a J3 adapter (Moates), the original BIN (I think I have that for a 94GT, lemme know the EEC code), and some way of writing the BIN to the J3 adapter (that's where Moates comes in).

Check with Moates on the J3 adapter and if it will work for the 94GT. Maybe you can also bug him about a J3 adapter for EEC-Vs? He told me he would have something out very soon, but knowing he has another customer may help.

Tuner in Training

Your 'chip module' aka 'J3 adapter' may look like this. Just finished testing it in a 2 bank 97TBird eec-v and a 4bank 02GT eec-v.
    http://members.tccoa.com/winston/Public/BlueChip.jpg

w.

-Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

Thanks for the pic, W. Why is it necessary to use such a high-end CPLD?

Do you have any data on the J3 port itself that you could share? How is the J3 bus different between the EEC-IV and EEC-Vs?

Tuner in Training

Geez Screamn03, you pretty much nailed locating some ECUs!

Were you planning on bidding on either? If not, I'll bid on both, but if you wanted one, I'll bid on the other.

Tuner in Training

Not sure what you mean about high end.
    Diablo uses a more expensive version, Altera EPM7128s100tc with about 128 CLBs, half or which looks like it holds their key and encryption circuit, Lattice is used by SCT, I think EFI Solutions uses Xilinx. Dont know who Motorvation or Transmission specialties uses. There is also a company in England that sells chips too. My designs are generic so that they can be flashed easily.

You need around 56 CLBs to implement a good VHDL design that can stand up to the guessed at timing requirements. I should have a look at AnaChip or Atmel if they have free tool-set.

EEC-Vs have the extra BS3 line which is mentioned in the Tom Cloud article.

w.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTCobraGuy
    Thanks for the pic, W. Why is it necessary to use such a high-end CPLD?

Do you have any data on the J3 port itself that you could share? How is the J3 bus different between the EEC-IV and EEC-Vs?

Were you planning on bidding on either? If not, I'll bid on both, but if you wanted one, I'll bid on the other.
    You can put them to better use than I can so go for it, I'm waiting for a '03 Cobra computer myself.

BTW: I was helping my friend pull the motor out of the '94GT tonight and I saw the calibration sticker in the D/S door frame. It reads:
    Calibration
    4-21A-R00
    F4AE-6E061-LBK
    Is this the right info I should be looking for?
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:

Tuner in Training

Uncleton,

By "high-end", the logic density seemed high on the J3 adaptors floating around. But the encryption explains it; most commercial adaptors probably do not want to be easily rewritten.

Thanks for the BS3 pin referral. This would be the second bank select bit (allowing 4 banks), I assume?

Any comments on the following J3 pins:
    -PAUSE -Pin 8 (Halt CPU in order to dump memory?)
    -(RESET) (Pin 10) (Standard CPU reset pin?)
    -MEMRST (Pin 12) (To reset SPCs?)
    -PROG (Pin 20) (For flash-based EECs?)
    -TSTSTB (Pin 22) (No clue?)

Is it possible to only remap the calibration data (and toggle between the adaptor ROM and factory ROM during CPU operation), or is it typical to replace the entire factory ROM with a J3 adaptor?

Screamn03,
    I'm getting outbid on Ebay; these things are in demand. I'll let you know if I see an 03 ECU. The most important code on the 94GT you're looking for related to your ECU, is the 4-character code label on the connector on the ECU itself. For a 94GT, 5-speed, it should be T4M0 (I think).

Thanks again.

Tuner in Training

The encryption is not that sophisticated but rather than figure it out you could just blow it away by reflashing the CPLD with your own load and then be able to program the flash memory taking into account any hardware excryption.
    I am taking both approaches on a red chip module that I have as a brain exerciser.

eec4 1 bank
    early eec5 2 banks
    later eec5 4 banks

No comment

You could probably be able to swap out the callibration tables only with a 'higher-end' CPLD if you wish. You would need to have a CPLD that is easily reloadable with the addresses of each scalar you need to change and the table addresses as these values will have to change every time you move from one callibration strategy to another. That would make a neat 'encryption' scheme.

Tuner in Training

Uncleton,

That is a very good idea as far as reprogramming the CPLD on an existing J3 adaptor.

Sounds like remapping the entire ROM would be much easier.

I'm concerned with timing you mentioned on the M-Bus, so I'm going to run some ECUs on the protocol analyzer this weekend, and post what I come up with.

Thanks!