Thread: dual flash chips

Advanced Tuner

dual flash chips

has anyone worked out how to install a second flash chip into an ls1 pcm? ive been trying for the last couple of days but just cant seem to get it working properly

i soldered a second chip on top of the orignal with a switch between the cs pins and the pcb. The active chip is connected to the pcb while the unsed chip has vcc on the cs pin.

this works ok when reading the chips but flashing causes checksum errors intermitently and sometimes hpt wont find the pcm

ive also tried switching the rp pins (unused grounded) but it didnt make any difference

has anyone ever got it working properly? how did you set it up?
    Last edited by sikhabib; 10-25-2009 at 07:25 AM.
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Reliability is important

Why don't you just get one of these so you don't have to fool around with something flakey? There is a lot to be said for reliability. The flash chips operate at a fast enough clock speed that they will not tolerate any noise in the circuit. There is more to it than just switching the power and enable lines.

You can read about it at htp://www.omnituner.com.

Quote Originally Posted by sikhabib View Post
    has anyone worked out how to install a second flash chip into an ls1 pcm? ive been trying for the last couple of days but just cant seem to get it working properly

i soldered a second chip on top of the orignal with a switch between the cs pins and the pcb. The active chip is connected to the pcb while the unsed chip has vcc on the cs pin.

this works ok when reading the chips but flashing causes checksum errors intermitently and sometimes hpt wont find the pcm

ive also tried switching the rp pins (unused grounded) but it didnt make any difference

has anyone ever got it working properly? how did you set it up?
    Roger A. Dahlman
    2002 Z06

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dogn View Post
    do you switch with all power disconected or do you still have batt power supplied?
    swap with all power disconnected, should power be left on??

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDahlman View Post
    Why don't you just get one of these so you don't have to fool around with something flakey? There is a lot to be said for reliability. The flash chips operate at a fast enough clock speed that they will not tolerate any noise in the circuit. There is more to it than just switching the power and enable lines.

You can read about it at htp://www.omnituner.com.
    i saw that site and conntacted the australian distributer, they dont supply parts only and the only option is to have it installed for $500. Before i fork out the cash i want to try and get it going myself, i have heaps of spare flash chips and pcms so im going to keep mucking around with it untill i give up in frustration or run out of flash chips lol
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Quote Originally Posted by sikhabib View Post
    swap with all power disconnected, should power be left on??

i saw that site and conntacted the australian distributer, they dont supply parts only and the only option is to have it installed for $500. Before i fork out the cash i want to try and get it going myself, i have heaps of spare flash chips and pcms so im going to keep mucking around with it untill i give up in frustration or run out of flash chips lol
    What you can't see from that picture is that there are several chips on the back of the board that handle the switching. There are timing issues and such involved. You can't just hook a toggle switch directly up to the flash chips and expect it to work.

Roger A. Dahlman
    2002 Z06