Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Knock retard on 110 octane at start up?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    .78 is safe. .81 is fine if you want to push it. .76 and below is too rich. If your car is right you can run all day long under any amount of stress @ .78 (11.5 on 14.7 regular gas) You should invest in a fuel sensor for alcohol content. Then the ECM will adjust timing based on fuel when tuned.
    When you say an alcohol sensor, you mean to convert to flex fuel with a flex fuel sensor? Not sure I know what an alcohol sensor is or where it goes. Flex fuel I've heard and seen the kits.
    So with the sensor, I would tune using non-ethanol, then if I fill with E10, the sensor will correct it.
    My last quick run WOT was stable at .77 on 92 E10
    Last edited by marksrig; 04-25-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Do you have a log?

This is the kit version. I bought just the basic sensor. Then wired it and mounted it hidden in the fender-well. Then you build a timing table for 91 no ethanol. Build the scaler and adder table and forget about the fuel blend. As far as you want to go until you run out of injector. I run out at 1200hp and 60% with ID1050s. When I do my blower change I will have to go to ID1350s to fuel the 1500 HP it should generate.

https://dsxtuning.com/collections/fl...-15-camaro-zl1
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Advanced Tuner
    That is the kit I was thinking about. The more I learn about this tuning stuff, the more I realize I don't know anything. Reading through Greg's books and his engineering explanations of the math involved makes my head spin.

I didn't log the last run
    I don't have flex fuel here so I wasn't going to buy the sensor. Do you think it will really make enough difference for just E10 to justify the cost?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marksrig View Post
    That is the kit I was thinking about. The more I learn about this tuning stuff, the more I realize I don't know anything. Reading through Greg's books and his engineering explanations of the math involved makes my head spin.

I didn't log the last run
    I don't have flex fuel here so I wasn't going to buy the sensor. Do you think it will really make enough difference for just E10 to justify the cost?
    If you aren't going to run anything but E10, the flex fuel sensor isn't worth the money or time to install.

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing I could see running is the 110 that the local VP station sells but it's $8.99/gal. It would be for track day only if I ever get there! LOL

If we had E85 here, I would definitely be running it, but that would require more fuel pump, injectors and a flex kit. Time tuning...A hell! lol

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jsllc View Post
    Do you have a log?

This is the kit version. I bought just the basic sensor. Then wired it and mounted it hidden in the fender-well. Then you build a timing table for 91 no ethanol. Build the scaler and adder table and forget about the fuel blend. As far as you want to go until you run out of injector. I run out at 1200hp and 60% with ID1050s. When I do my blower change I will have to go to ID1350s to fuel the 1500 HP it should generate.

https://dsxtuning.com/collections/fl...-15-camaro-zl1
    My wife would strangle me if I spent the money it would take to build a 1500HP car. Well, she would expect her cut at least so now it's twice as expensive. LOL
    You planning on a Kenne Belle 4 liter?

Nope, just a little 2650 roots blower.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm