Thread: Bus monitoring

Potential Tuner

Bus monitoring

Hi All,

I was reading through the resources here, and figured someone here might have an answer to my question(s).

Do ford PCMs (EEC-V) use J1850 PWM for the reflash process as well? Somewhere along the line I had picked up the idea that there is an additional line used in the OBDII connector that is something like 15v that is used to reflash the PCM through the ODBII port.

I have a J2534 pass-through device, and would like to be able to monitor what is going on during the reflash process. I was hoping that someone here who actually has some tech knowledge could help me out.

Thanks,

Jay

Tuner in Training

Re: Bus monitoring

I'm a J3 connector guy, but from what I've seen and read, yes the EEC-Vs can be reflashed thru the OBDII port.

In combination with your pass-thru device, you can buy a subscription and the software from Motorcraft to update stock calibrations....but what fun is that, eh?

I know people on some other forums have tinkered with the reflash process, and most are stumbling on the "key" that is required to "unlock" the ECU and place it in re-flash mode.

There is a company that sells an IC that converts J1850-PWM to RS232?(I think). I believe some people have "tapped" onto a flasher tool and watched the process in this manner.

Sorry for being vague and lacking details, but I figured I would share what I've gathered. Please keep us updated on your progress. Maybe there are others on this forum that can chime in with the real details. Check out other forums as well.

Regards and good luck.

Pin 13 of the DLC goes to pin 13 of the PCM which is labled as "Voltage supplied at all times (overload protected)". I'm guessing that the DLC pin 13 is used to power the PCM when you want to flash it. Pin 2 & 10 are the PWM bus pins used to program the PCM.

2000 Ford Focus SE

Potential Tuner

Thanks for the replies. I've since learned a bit more about the J2534 setup (the SAE standard for reflashing practices) and it seems that with the pass through device I can listen in on one sided communications if I spoof the "network" address of the device the messages are intended to go to. I also got some vague info about the 0xF range of addresses being intended for scan tools for instance.. I need to figure out what range the PCM itself is likely to be in and just start trying addresses I guess. Seems to me however that there should still be a good way to watch ALL traffic on the network(which seems like a better term than bus now) without having to spoof an address. Also anyone have any ideas how to find info on what addresses are commonly used for what?

TIA

Jay

PCM: 0x10-0x17

Off-Board Testers / Diagnostic Tools: 0xF0 - 0xFD

All Nodes: 0xFE

Null Node: 0xFF

2000 Ford Focus SE