Thread: !!!!help Me Out!!!!

Tuner in Training

Exclamation !!!!help Me Out!!!!

Alright heres the deal im looking at buyin the vcm suite software but i was wandering if it was all that great and if it was user friendly.

I drive an 03 avalanche 5.3 with a 4l60e transmission

It currently has a cold air intake and exhaust on it and I am gonna put shorty headers and true duals and replace cats with high flows and remove second cats. Is it possible to remove both my dads friend has an exhaust shop he can make me a pipe with the bungs in it? And eventually get heads cam throttle body and intake.

So can i take the torque management off and make it bark tires and leave the line better and shift at 6k? If so is it hard to set up.

And also what kind of power gains would i be looking at?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

O yeah and fuel economy doesnt have to be great i only drive it in town and i need the power to get out into this crazy traffic and i take it to street car night at the drag strip.
    Last edited by halfachance; 10-11-2006 at 08:45 PM.

You will need to install a Transgo shift kit to really firm the WOT shifts (especially the 1-2 shift) With out a shift kit, I halve the upshift torque reduction. With a shift kit, then I zero the upshift torque reduction. I've tuned a few Avalanches with the 5.3 and don't expect to spin the tires as the truck is very heavy. I set the WOT upshifts at 5600. 6000 rpm is too high with a stock cam & valve springs.

If you don't need to have cats, then removing them will reduce some exhaust back pressure. I just install my wideband in place of the right front O2 sensor, no need to weld a bung into the pipe.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    alright sounds pretty good about how much hp gain am i lookin at and would anyone know if a ls1 crank will fit my 5.3

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by halfachance
    and would anyone know if a ls1 crank will fit my 5.3
    I'm not sure if they share the same part number, but they have the same stroke for 4.8/5.3/5.7 so there would be no gain. Now if you wanted to bore your engine out to 99mm, then you could use stock 5.7L pistons and be a 5.7L, but where's the fun in that? If you're thinking of rebuilding, get it bored out and use a stroker crank to go 383.
    2015 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 6.2 A8
    1974 GMC Super 1500 (5.3, LS9 cam, Ebay Long Tubes, 3" stainless duals, Summit 3" stainless welded mufflers, dumps, 4L65E Monster Transmission)

Tuner in Training
    yeah i know they are the same stroke but i was wandering if a ls1 stroker crank would work in my truck.

and about shifting it at 6k i think thats to high now to because my truck seems like it has lost alot of power and im guessin its from wore valve springs