Thread: Using 2nd O2 sensor for wideband input..

Using 2nd O2 sensor for wideband input..

So i found out that the purple/white wire is the signal wire for my rear O2 sensor. I want to hook up my wideband through this so that i can log actual AFR and use the AFR% error histograms.

I have a AEM wideband and i was wondering do i just need to cut the purple/white signal wire from the rear O2 sensor and hook it up to the 0-5V output on my wideband?? I realize that i will have to do come custom PID work but i think i got all that figured out. Do i leave the other wiers from the second O2 sensor hooked up as they were?? Or should i disconnect all of the wiers and just hook up the signal one??

Tuner
    What I want to know, is will the factory wiring keep the WB sensor alive, and can you set up the PID to read the 0-5v signal? This is an awesome idea!

You're on to a wicked idea! If i was doing it, id go out and pick up a few weather-packed connectors so i can put in the WB when i want to, then put the stock o2 back in later on. Let us know how you make out on this project!

Check out this thread....
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5364

Here is my post from it...if you guys have any more questions ill try to answer...

well i got mine to work......kinda.....I got all the PID stuff done just found some problems with the readings.

I took the 0-5 volt output from my AEM wideband and hooked it to the signal wire from my post cat o2 sensor. so the computer now receives a signal from my AEM wideband not my stock rear o2 sensor. But the problems are....

1. the rear signal wire will only read to 1100Mv is there any way to change this so that it will read to 5V?? I can set my wideband to output a 0-1V range that will solve the problem but it wont be as accurate as the 0-5V. The other option is to keep it on the 0-5v output but i will only be able to log data from a AF ratio of 10 to 12. anything higher that 12 and the sensor maxes out at 1100Mv does this make sense???

2. the AF ratio in HP tuners is about .7 to 1 higher than what is displayed on my AF gauge. is there a reason for this? The AEM book says that at a AF ratio of 10 the sensor should output 000Mv but it is outputting about 160Mv so should i just set up my PID so that it minuses 160Mv??

Tuner in Training
    this is only smart if you dont have the pro version of hptuners... and, i would put it on the 0-1v, it would suck to send 5v's to the ecu and burn it out...

if thats possible of course

Potential Tuner
    Ok, so how has this worked for everyone?

I am about to do this for my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC, the purlple/white wire is the one needed to cut and connect my wideband?

I have the PLX M300 and it has 2 outputs, 0-5v and 0-1v...

What is the disadvantage of logging 0-1v? Will it still be effective for tuning? 1 more noob question, how would I set up a PID to run this on my cobalt?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWest
    Ok, so how has this worked for everyone?

I am about to do this for my 2006 Cobalt SS/SC, the purlple/white wire is the one needed to cut and connect my wideband?

I have the PLX M300 and it has 2 outputs, 0-5v and 0-1v...

What is the disadvantage of logging 0-1v? Will it still be effective for tuning? 1 more noob question, how would I set up a PID to run this on my cobalt?
    less resolution basically.

Advanced Tuner
    0-1v is Narrow band aka what your stock O2 sensors work as. 0-5v is wideband which means you'll have a reading that's hypothetically 5 times the clarity. Using the 2nd o2 port should be ok but you'll have to have your cat cleared out so you will be getting exact o2 count in the exhaust. I don't see this working since you're basically just using another stock o2 no wideband function. If someone can prove this I'd love to hear about it. But I just don't see this working without having the ecm programed to read a 5v wideband.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Potential Tuner
    So what is my best option? Without buying the upgraded (I/O)

Advanced Tuner
    ehh... I guess by logging onto a laptop using the wideband software (if yours came with some) but this is by no way accurate or effective... it's 250$ more which for most projects is a drop in a bucket, My car and my gf's cavy both have project overhauls but I plan on dishing 250 for the Pro since 250 is less then a good wideband.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Julex
    ehh... I guess by logging onto a laptop using the wideband software (if yours came with some) but this is by no way accurate or effective... it's 250$ more which for most projects is a drop in a bucket, My car and my gf's cavy both have project overhauls but I plan on dishing 250 for the Pro since 250 is less then a good wideband.

$250?? Where??? lol

$289 plus $10 shipping to upgrade from the Standard to the Pro.
    I guess I could always log my AFR(Output from PLX connected 0-5v) and RPM with my Interceptor gauge, and correspond it with my VCM scanner log..

Tuner in Training
    On my car the fuel tank pressure sensor delivers 0.1-4.9v. So what if I install a plx in place of stock sensor, run narrowband for stock, and on the wide band put a plug in between the ftp sensor. That way when I need wideband I just jack the car unplug the ftp sensor and plug in the wideband. Set up the pid on hp and off we go.

would this work?
    2003 Cavalier 2.2 L4. Modified Intake and throttle body. Header and 2000 watts of boost in the trunk.

Advanced Tuner
    well your car would tink it's out of gas, and I still question if you'll see the right reading. But try it and see, nothing is proven till you try it. and I was estimating 250 lol. And that's what I said is just log to your computers wideband software and compare using excel, but again this has been said to be not very efficient, but try it lol. You'll get it close I guess though. Good luck
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

Tuner in Training
    The FTP is only used for fuel tank integrity diagnostics. The diagnostic only runs when 25% < tank level < .75%. You can turn the tank diagnostics completey off and try it! Some tuners choose the AC press transducer and have had success logging the 5V output from a wideband. Lot's of info on this forum, try your search function, also search on LM1 (popular wideband). Also look into the scaling of your linear sensor and set it up to have good resolution in the usable range eg: 0V = 10:1 and 5V = 15:1.

Tuner in Training
    could you post a sample of this scaling idea? Sounds like a good option for the time being.
    2003 Cavalier 2.2 L4. Modified Intake and throttle body. Header and 2000 watts of boost in the trunk.

Advanced Tuner
    well if 0 volts is 10:1 and 5 is 15:1 then 2.5 volts would be 12.5:1 etc It's pretty simple lol.
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon