Thread: 2005 corvette MAF frequency Dropping out on HPTuner Log - car running rough

Tuner in Training

2005 corvette MAF frequency Dropping out on HPTuner Log - car running rough

Have a 2005 corvette that Im tuning - stroker LS 2 - everything WAS going great with drive ability and then it started to really deteriorate to the point where it would stall and wouldnt stay running with super rich black smoke and backfires. I noticed that the MAF is dropping out on the log - the trace is not smooth and sinusoidal - it is sinusoidal between saw tooths where it drops out - when I say drop out I mean the MAF signal as read througth the HPTuners interface goes from 3-4K Hz to 0Hz.. I looked at earlier logs where it was running better and it did not have the drop outs at all - I have not put a scope on the actual MAF output. I did wire the MAF directly to B+ and Ground to make sure there wasnt a bundle issue. I also wired the MAF signal generator output directly to the ECU connector C3 and no change in the drop outs. I am Beginning to wonder if my E40 is dieing ? Any thoughts ?

Did notice the ECU molded fiber glass frame mount was cracked and I believe this car has had a slight smack in the vicinity of the ECU mounting.

ECU voltage WAS all over the place and I suspected weak battery that was not recovering after frequent restarts - so I put an interstate grp 25 megatron + w/1000 cold cranking amps - battery voltage now stable. But - still funny MAF reading.

This is kicking my butt - any ideas appreciated Rick
    Last edited by REM; 07-27-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Tuner in Training
    SOLVED- Throw out bearing on crank went away and pushing on clutch pushed the trigger wheel away from crank position switch - since this is a new engine at the time - not sure what the root cause was - has McLeod twin disc clutch with less than 1000 miles on it - ( IE brand new installation )

Tuning Addict
    I assume there were other electrical problems? I've heard of thrust bearings being bad or almost bad and causing the crank to drop out. Just never heard of that causing all of the above issues.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    almost kicked my butt - this had to be the worst !! (aside from the dodge 5.9 common rail working on currently - injector knocking and going into limp mode & cannot get TTVA to work on transmission - persistent code - this bundle comming out - going to kill the ECU guy in South FLorida if this ECU is bad - another issue - these Dodge cummins are great until you need an ECU ! ) - the only persistent electrical problem was MAF and MAF signal - scoped it out - was a very noisey signal and it would disappear as motor got hot . Got progressively worse as I was troubleshooting it - IE would start and run fine when cold but after warm up initally could get 3-5 miles out of it - eventually couldnt get out of the neighborhood. Bought an ECU, replaced the crank, cam and MAF sensor .. went over the wiring harness with a fine tooth comb insitu - almost took the bundle out - took the headers out like 3-4 times - OMG !, and now I have a dodge diesel h311 !!
    Last edited by REM; 03-10-2022 at 01:27 PM.