Thread: Torque Management causing Rough Idle in Drive?

Potential Tuner

Torque Management causing Rough Idle in Drive?

Hi guys,

I'm running into an issue with my idle tuning. This is on a 2000 Chev Silverado 1500 5.3L with P01 ECU, has a turbo and a moderate cam. I'm running the Enhanced 3 Bar OS if it matters.

I can get the truck to idle fine in Park, Reverse and Neutral. When I put it into drive though, the ECU pulls a bunch of timing causing the truck to idle rough and drop a bunch of RPM. To compensate the Desired Idle Airflow ramps up to its max to try and bring the RPM back up.

I have figured out that it is the torque management that is causing the ECU to pull the timing. If I zero out the torque management table, the truck idles fine in drive, but I'm concerned that it will damage the transmission since the torque management won't be pulling any timing during the shifts.

Is there a way I can disable torque management at idle but still have it active during shifts?

I've made a video to illustrate the problem here: https://youtu.be/mtFgbxQXFug

Let me know if there's a way around this.

Thanks
    Randy

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rengler View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm running into an issue with my idle tuning. This is on a 2000 Chev Silverado 1500 5.3L with P01 ECU, has a turbo and a moderate cam. I'm running the Enhanced 3 Bar OS if it matters.

I can get the truck to idle fine in Park, Reverse and Neutral. When I put it into drive though, the ECU pulls a bunch of timing causing the truck to idle rough and drop a bunch of RPM. To compensate the Desired Idle Airflow ramps up to its max to try and bring the RPM back up.

I have figured out that it is the torque management that is causing the ECU to pull the timing. If I zero out the torque management table, the truck idles fine in drive, but I'm concerned that it will damage the transmission since the torque management won't be pulling any timing during the shifts.

Is there a way I can disable torque management at idle but still have it active during shifts?

I've made a video to illustrate the problem here: https://youtu.be/mtFgbxQXFug

Let me know if there's a way around this.

Thanks
    Randy
    In system optione under the systems tab does Brake TqMgt have a 1 next to it? If so try 0 and see what happens.
    Then i believe you have to do a "write entire".
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune file and logs
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by anniversaryss View Post
    In system optione under the systems tab does Brake TqMgt have a 1 next to it? If so try 0 and see what happens.
    Then i believe you have to do a "write entire".
    This fixed it as you probably saw in the facebook group, thanks for your help!!

Advanced Tuner
    Awesome good to know. I see this all the time or I wouldn't have known

Tuner in Training
    I know this is a few years old, but I just put a 408 in my 2003 Silverado and I spent hours chasing my tail trying to figure out why it was pulling 25+ degrees of timing, kicking out of closed loop, and stalling when stopped in gear. Such a simple fix to an annoying issue.

I just wanted to say Thanks!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ViaBellator View Post
    I know this is a few years old, but I just put a 408 in my 2003 Silverado and I spent hours chasing my tail trying to figure out why it was pulling 25+ degrees of timing, kicking out of closed loop, and stalling when stopped in gear. Such a simple fix to an annoying issue.

I just wanted to say Thanks!!!
    Good to hear

Potential Tuner
    I just looked at every gen 3 file I have and it looks like brake tqmgt under system options is a 1 on every 4l60e application and a 0 on every 4l80e application.

Quote Originally Posted by toflaherty View Post
    I just looked at every gen 3 file I have and it looks like brake tqmgt under system options is a 1 on every 4l60e application and a 0 on every 4l80e application.
    2002 Silverado 1GCGC13U22F236000 LQ4 4L80E (OS 12212156).hpt