Thread: 5.3 cam swap surge

Tuner in Training

5.3 cam swap surge

2000 gmc sierra 5.3 swapped into 92 swb silverado reused 700 trans with 2200 stall starts up runs drives but cant for the life of me seem to get rid of the surge does it basically all the time after startup in gear everything ive played with timing tables idle airflow startup airflow idle rpm throttle follower ve tables basically everything i know to do and still nothing cam specs are .500 lift intake and exhaust duration at .006 296 intake 302 exhaust lsa 112 valve timing seems jacked unless im doing my math wrong ivo 38 btdc ivc 74 abdc evo 86 bbdc evc 34 atdc any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance jeremy cam 2.hpt

Jesus man, put that timing back to stock.

Read how the tables are setup. This isn't a small block 350. You'd blow the thing up if it could really handle 43 degrees of timing at 5,000rpm.

Don't zero out the under/overspeed spark correction. Allow the computer a little wiggle room to adjust timing and smooth it self out. Like +/- 4-6 degrees of timing.

Please do more reading on airflow model tuning. You really must start there before you go hog wild with spark changes and idle airflow changes. If the fueling is wrong, everything will be wrong.

Invest in a wideband o2 sensor so you can log and monitor real time air fuel ratio's.

Verify you have zero vacuum leaks and you are running the proper 58psi of fuel pressure that is required. Don't be surprised if you run out of injector later on, stock injectors don't support much power over stock.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    have a wideband just dont have the pro setup to use it and on stock tables it seemed to swing all over the place so other than wideband is there a way i can figure out how to adjust my fuel air

Tuner
    Adjust your fuel at idle and part throttle with ltft, that?ll get you close enough and idle better.

Tuner in Training
    when i watch those in the scanner if the box is red with a positive number does that mean the system is rich by that much or is it lean and its adding that much fuel?

Wire the wideband into a 5v circuit on the computer and create a custom channel to log it.

People have been doing it this way for years. Use the EGR circuit, pin 55 I believe. You can youtube and google the wideband through the EGR trick and it works great.

Fueling is going to swing all over the place if it's untuned, I would not trust the narrow band sensors fuel trims right away.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    ok and ive seen a lot of videos talking about to tune the ve properly you have to turn off the long and short term fuel trims and all that to be able to see what the engine is truly producing is that the proper steps turn all that off wire in the wideband put tuune back to stock see if it will run enough to get a decent log then tune ve table based on rresults? or would it be enough to just hold the throttle off closed so its sort of idling and tune from that sorry for all the questions but my tuning experience is just messing with stock engines power enrich tq management small stuff like that first cam tune gives a new respect for the guys who can do this in their sleep more to it than i expected and i appreciate you guys helping me with the learning process

Advanced Tuner
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the help guys after a few hrs of ve tuning and then a few more hrs of fine tuning it with wb it ran so much better few small adjustments to airflow and idle timing she runs great now just to see how long this 700 will take the abuse lol