Thread: In need of some guidance on my 08 Chevy 5.3 tuning!!!!!

Potential Tuner

Lightbulb In need of some help and guidance on my 08 Chevy 5.3 tuning!!!!!

I just rebuilt the top end of my motor and the only thing I have done with the ECM is downloaded the information from the truck to VCM editor and changed the DOD to disable. I got it started up and idling now but when using the Scanner I noticed that the timing is jumping around from 16 to 20. I was wanting to know what would be a good tune for it.

Here is what I have done to the motor:
    NON DOD cam = TSP 212/218, 0.600/0.600; 112LSA stage 2 truck cam
    LS2 timing chain and damper
    LS2 lifter tray
    LS7 lifters
    Single beehive valves .625 max
    GM high performance oil pump
    Installed new valve seals and lapped valves (799 heads)
    7.4 chromoly push rods
    GM L92 valley cover no PCV
    New gaskets
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Cbrown.83; 12-17-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Timing will never be steady. It's going to move around some and it's normal. How much you allow the timing to swing comes down to settings in the spark correction tables.

Nobody can tell you what a good tune would be because the engine is going to tell you what is wrong or needs changing.

Ideally a wideband oxygen would be used to tune the fueling side of this. Fuel trim tuning can be done as well but only for closed loop fuel control. Any full throttle tuning can't be done with fuel trims.

Just from the log it shows that the longer the engine runs the more fuel it's pulling out with the negative trims. It's going to want a little work from the MAF and VVE airflow tables. You'll have some reading to do on how to tackle some of this. There is power to be found with other changes to wide open throttle fueling and timing changes with that new larger camshaft. Could probably pick up 20-30hp with that new camshaft.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for your help. I will catch up on my reading.