Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Loop Idle - PE

Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531
    Just set the 0/400/800 cells to zero, then whenever the TPS is at zero, PE will be triggered, and by default, PE is open loop.
    Makes sense now, got it, thanks for the help....
    " '01 SS "

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0
    Just set the PE enable vs RPM back to stock from 1600RPM onwards. Zero it out 0-1200RPM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531
    Perhaps PE enable vs. TPS?
    I just tried this on another '02 F-Bod, and it still won't work. The vehicle stays in OL, and will not return to CL, even tho the TPS table commands it to go back to CL after basically 1200 rpms. I followed your directions to a T. It seems that it works on some cars, but not all of them. Must be something in the code that is different?
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but did anyone find out why the 04 GTO won't go into/stay in PE mode at Idle?

I can set it all up based on MNR-O's instructions, but as soon as the ECT reaches the CL threshold, it goes into closed loop instead of staying in open loop like it *should* and my commanded afr goes back to 14.68 instead of 15.5 where I have it set in the PE and OL EQ Ratio tables.
    2004 Impulse Blue A4 LS1 GTO

PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, PatG Custom Cam (227/232 .610/.604 111LSA), 1 7/8" Kooks LTs w/catted mids, FAST 90/PTM90, Yank 3600 Stall, Custom 4" Fenderwell CAI, BMR Drag Bags, Magnaflow Cat-Back, PBMFIsMe tune.

410/362 at the wheels
    [email protected] - Woohoo ! ! !

Senior Tuner
    FYI, this trick will NOT work on F-Bods. I just tried it on a '98, as I have '99-'02 models, and the fuel trims will NOT function in this mode. I have seen it work on the Vettes, however.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PBMFIsMe View Post
    Sorry to bring back an old thread, but did anyone find out why the 04 GTO won't go into/stay in PE mode at Idle?

I can set it all up based on MNR-O's instructions, but as soon as the ECT reaches the CL threshold, it goes into closed loop instead of staying in open loop like it *should* and my commanded afr goes back to 14.68 instead of 15.5 where I have it set in the PE and OL EQ Ratio tables.
    You're right, I have an '04 GTO here, and it will NOT go into OL at idle when PE is enabled, no matter what you do. I have a big ass cam (Torquer 3) that confuses the hell out of the O2s at idle, and I'm getting to a loss of what to do, short of disabling the O2s altogether (I really don't want to do that).

Chris and the gang, do you have any clue of why the GTO will not go into OL at idle when PE is enabled? Is there something else missing that needs to be switched/changed?
    Formerly known as RWTD

So this method works on an 01 Z06?

Advanced Tuner
    You can just disable the O2s altogether. At least you will see the differences between closed and open loop at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by MNR-0 View Post
    You can just disable the O2s altogether. At least you will see the differences between closed and open loop at idle.
    I'd like to have functional closed loop at cruise.

Advanced Tuner
    So why wouldn't this work on f body's?

I have never gotten this to work on any of the f-bods that I have tried it on.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I have never gotten this to work on any of the f-bods that I have tried it on.
    Same here, buddy. There's apparently another parameter that doesn't allow it to return to CL once OL is enabled at idle.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2000 OS and using the enhanced 1bar SD it seems to work, but then again I'm just starting to try it out.

At idle, STFT are locked at 0 and when I start driving they begin to make their adjustments again.

Tomorrow I will have alot more time to play with this on my car.

I won't be able to post logs until Wednesday after my 33 hour work shift. blah

Dave

I've never tried it with any of the custom OS's but I would definitely be willing to try it out... Post a log when you get a chance; I'd like to see it.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Potential Tuner
    Okay I am at work so i can't post the log, but....

Using the Enhanced 1bar MAP OS it will indeed use PE at idle and then resume while driving.

However, you can't trust the status bit for it, I believe that the status bit just states if the car meets the requirement for closed loop with temp and things of that sort. Indeed the STFT's hold at 0 while idling.

I am however having an issue.

I set the PE enable to 0 for the 400, 800, 1200 range to make it go PE at idle, and used the TPS multiplier to make it leaner than my VE table. It does indeed run leaner where I want it at idle now. Problem is when I go to take off from a stop I remain without the fuel trims until I get into the 1600rpm range of the VE table. I don't believe there is any way to fix that.

I also want to re-enable MAF at some point and go with an OS that uses the MAF, but I dont know how I am going to get around leaning out the idle if I wont have the TPS modifier.

the status bit definitely doesn't change from CL when PE is active...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

Advanced Tuner
    I just wanted to update this but I have 2000 Camaro SS and I just got my car to idle in open loop and switch into closed loop above 1200 rpm. Works great thanks alot!

I just came across this thread and I have a 02 411 LS1 PCM and I want to do the Open loop idle. I hear that it doesn't work but I have heard it does, running the 2.23 beta and its 2011, lol. Does it work?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Hope to try this out this afternoon, will post back soon.

14 Gen 5 Viper

Update:
    Running a Custom 2 bar OS on my 02 PCM (f-body) and it seems the PE open loop idle works for me as well.

Tested it by commanding a leaner 15.1 in the open loop table, and then 14.7 in the PE table with Tps 0% in these cells. PCM picked the richer of the two and it seems PE OL works now

14 Gen 5 Viper

very nice, thanks for letting people know your result.
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com