Thread: Another Tow/Haul question.....

Tuner in Training

Another Tow/Haul question.....

This one is a little different than most...I've spent about 45 minutes searching and haven't found anything yet on this particular subject, except for one guy wanting to make it happen, and not getting much response (kind of what I'm expecting here).

I drive a 2004 S10 crewcab. 4.3L V6 w/4L60E trans. SOME of the S-series vehicles came with a Tow/Haul button (GMC Jimmy's, and Envoy's). I want to implement this on my truck, however the stock setup works by alerting the BCM, and the BCM alerts the PCM.

I've found a switch in the EFILive software, and I'd like to confirm it's in the HPTuners software before I buy. I have some other projects that require HPtuners for platform compatibility, so I'm 90% of the way there on the decision making process already, just need to verify this to make 100% sure.

Link to a screen shot of EFIlive's switch

Can someone verify that this "switch" exists in the HPTuners software for me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

we don't have the switch in the software but can easily add it. When you read the PCM just email me the file and i will enable the value for you until we get it into a general release.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Senior Tuner
    So it IS coming, good to see. Thanks guys.

Tuner in Training
    Excellent.....Thanks for the info I greatly appreciate it.

Tuner in Training
    OK I've another question that I don't see in the FAQ's, and after a few minutes of searching I can't find either.

The truck is acting like the PCM has "busted" again. This would be the second one for this truck ('00 S10, 2.2-4cyl/5spd). When the last PCM went I had to tow the truck to the dealership to get the new PCM flashed with the proper OS, and Data. Can HPTuners read my old PCM (assuming it isn't busted), and get the OS/Data from it, and flash that to the new PCM? I would think this is possible, but haven't seen anyone else use it for this purpose.

Again much thanks for the answers to some obvious newbie questions.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you would need to license both pcm's more then likely but yeah as long as their not busted you shouldnt have any issue doing that.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the fast response.

Looks more and more like the software will be getting purchased here in the near future. Between some fuel economy, and power to be gained on the ZR5, and some simple maintenance issues to resolve on the Xtreme, I've got plenty of justification.

FYI, i added the performance mode switch option in the latest beta

And the reverse lockout speeds (for whoever wanted that!)

And the Max MAF table (for whoever wanted that!)

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tow Switch

My 2005 Silverado V6 4.3l has it on the gear shift lever. What I have seen is
    when used it down shifts less often climbing hills, almost like it is not letting the transmission into overdrive or lockout. Any other switch owners out there, it did not add any HP that I could detect.

mjbell1
    "Blacky" 2005 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab V6 4.3L
    MSD 6A Ignition, Coil, Cap/Rotor, 8.5mm Wires
    K&N Cold Air Package, Cat-Back Dual Exhausts
    CFM Tech. Bored/Ported/Polished Throttle Body
    Thermostat 180 Degree, Fuel Pressure Gauge

mjbell1

Senior Tuner
    This doesn't add HP, but more towing ability for the transmission ... or should I say, excessive shifts won't be made, which can wear out a transmission while towing. It limits shift to a load area that is lower, plus it will lock the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) sooner and hold it lock even through gear changes for increased durability. These Performance (or Tow/Haul) mode tables can be tailered for spirited driving like on a road course, or if your wife likes different shift (TCC lock up) points then you.